Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor 160GB ATA-133 5400RPM?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if these drives are worth looking at? Is it a dog of a drive performance wise? I'm looking at updating my server storage capacity and this drive is the biggest I can find.

If the drive is for server storage, then is speed really of that much importance? Probably not.

Besides, before you toss out the idea of a 5400RPM drive, check out the performance of the Seagate 80GB that I did a while back. It was pretty much the first 80GB monster to hit the market, and the performance was impressive for only 5400RPM... and I'd imagine that the technology has improved even since then.

Just something to think about. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the reply Darthtanion,

I'm looking to put 4 of these drives in a software RAID 5 configuration under Windows 2K server. This will give me close to half a terabyte of fault tolerant storage, so a decent level of performance will be need just because of the total capacity. I just know when I updated my PC from a WD 10GB 5400RPM to an IBM 30GB 7200RPM, there was a very noticeable speed increase, and was wondering how this new drive compared to other drives.

While I'm at it, has anyone heard of any IDE drives larger than 160GB?

Comment

There's been talk of them comin' but when is another question. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Seeing as though I'll be shelling out a s@#tload of money for 4 drives of this size, I might wait a month or two to see what happens.:)

Comment

the main problem you run into as you go to the larger drives -> the cutting edge <- is the problem of heating/expanding/contracting drive platters, with the amount of data / platters that they are sqeezing into a drive these days, the fact that you want to use them in a RAID 5 config is a damn good idea, screw software raid, get a raid controller, go scsi, and get the biggest drive u can find, mount each drive behind a 60mm fan, and be done with it

Comment

Bloody hell Skullshot, I'm not made of money!!:D A 500GB SCSI hardware RAID 5 solution would cost me nearly $15,000!!

What I was planning to do is put the W2K system on a 10GB drive and put that in hardware RAID 1 to another 10 GB drive, then have the 4 X 160GB drives purely as a software RAID 5 array, all mounted in a full tower case, with each drive having a 60mm fan for cooling. This gets by the major problem with software RAID 5 where if the system drive s@#t's it's nest, you loose everything. Plus it's the most bullet proof solution I can think that is anywhere near my price range.:)

There is an IDE hardware RAID 5 I may think about, but it;s still around $850.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/product.as...IVECONTROLLERS

Comment

A normal IDE Raid card with 4 channels ain't that expensive though and would be more dependable than software RAID. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hi Wiggo,

I wouldn't use RAID 1 if that's what you're meaning. With RAID 1 I'd loose 50% of my total disk space in creating the redundancy, with 4 drives in RAID 5 I'd loose 25% of the total disk space. I'll gain 160GB of storage by using RAID 5 over RAID 1.

Software RAID 5 isn't that bad. It's definately the poor man's RAID , but it works. I've recovered from 2 hard disk crashes in the past 18 months (luckily not the system drive) using software RAID 5.

Comment

yeah wiggo, what he is talking about can't be accomplished with ya shelf standard IDE raid cards, i can definately see the benefeits, but brash, u know u wanna go with my solution, just sell your house, then you can buy me one too :D

Comment

I've got a solution that'll keep us both happy Skullshot! How about I sell your house and I'll buy us both a RAID 5 card!?!

Comment

how about I just... :( nevermind...

Comment

i think thats a great idea, since its mah mums house and its worth enuff to cover that...

so what is it that suddenly brought u back to the forums brash?

Comment

Was studying for my MCSE last year and my CCNA this year, so I've been at study based forums. Apart from that I've just been too damn lazy to recreate my account.;)

Comment

Here is a tip... You MAY be able to get smaller drives (60 or 80 GB) at a better GIG / Dollar ratio.... If you can... Great... its a better way to go... Its far wiser to risk your data on 3 60 gigs, than 1 160 gig... Plus if its cheaper, do it... not to mention future resale value will be higher... Smaller the drive, = higher resale value per gig...

Comment

Working...
                              X