Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is ATA 133,100 and SATA?

What is it?

ATA 100 (forgot what ATA stood for :( ) but anyway.

The 100 means trasnsfering at 100megabit 133 meaning 133 obviously.....

The SATA standing for Serial-ATA (again forgot what ATA stood for its like advanced something something, or was it something something advanced? or the word advanced not in the there? T for transfer? :?: anyway....it transfers at 150 was it? Its just the form that drives use to connect and transfer data and such....Like SCSI just a different way of getting data across its like a communication bridge between the drives........and the bus.

Comment

ATA = Advanced Technology Attachment

The numbers do reflect speeds, but these are maximum theoretical speeds and will more than likely never be seen from a user's standpoint. The 100 and 133 standards will still be lucky to average anything more than 40-50 MB/sec transfer speeds. And even if you do see something remotely close to these top end speeds, it will be very fleeting as this will be a peak burst speed and cannot be sustained.

The Serial ATA standard is what many hard drive manufacturers are looking to as the next industry standard. As of right now, it offers a maximum theoretical speed of 150 MB/sec transfer speed, but here's a catch. These new SATA controllers (whether built into a new mainboard or an add-on PCI card) are still transferring data via the PCI bus. Guess what... this still has that same old maximum theoretical speed of only 133 MB/sec!

While SATA has a lot of promise and newer versions (equating to faster versions) are currently in the works, there is no way it will become feasible until it breaks away from the instant bottleneck of the PCI bus. When that happens, then we will see if it can offer anything for the Power User.

Of course, PCI Express is another new technology hitting the tech arena and may bear watching. :D
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

ATA: 100 (100MB/s,) 133 (133MB/s.)
        SCSI: UW (40MB/s,) 3 (160MB/s,) ultra 320 (320MB/s,) D320x (640MB/s.)
        SATA: 150 - 600MB/s.
        Of issue for IDE hard drive (HD) is it's platter rotational speed, 5400, 7200, 10000 rpm (higher speen means noise and heat) and the memory cache in the HD, 2, 4, 8MB. Ideally the 7200rpm and 4MB IDE hd are near scsi performance quality w/o the needed $250 scsi controller (adaptec.) The ATA type hd is dependent on what type the motherboard (mobo) will suport. :bounce:
        At the moment I am having a tough time finding 40 - 60GB hd with the 4 - 8MB cache and 7200rpm, the 2MB cache cost about $65. Having a 120GB hd means like 2 days to defrag it, beter to have a couple 40 or 60GB. A nice fast hd for system files and then slave hd for data and storing back ups.

Comment

Bug

I haven't seen any IDE drives with 4mb cache. Do you know of a model? I also think that drives with 8mb start at the 80gb size. Also, the time to defrag is dependant on the amount of data (all other factors being equal) on the drive. If you have 30gb on the drive, it shouldn't make too much difference whether it is on a 40 or 120gb drive. And if it takes 2 days to defrag a 120gb drive, you need better hardware and maybe a better defrag app.

Comment

I've heard that a future version of SATA will be on it's own "bus" or something to that effect. I'm not positive on this since I just remember seeing it once (and I don't remember where it is)

Comment

Thanks a'bunch guys again today I learn something new....ahhhhh I love this place...Big hug eveybody...errrr....:o maybenot:devil win
              :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
                Bug

I haven't seen any IDE drives with 4mb cache. Do you know of a model? I also think that drives with 8mb start at the 80gb size. Also, the time to defrag is dependant on the amount of data (all other factors being equal) on the drive. If you have 30gb on the drive, it shouldn't make too much difference whether it is on a 40 or 120gb drive. And if it takes 2 days to defrag a 120gb drive, you need better hardware and maybe a better defrag app.
                I got Maxtor's Diamond Max Plus 9 120 GB - model 6Y120L4 (white label) from Compu-Terra.com (http://www.compu-terra.com/productm.cgi?HD). NOTE THAT THE MODEL ENDS in "L4". I think that this indicates 4MB buffer. Not 100% sure though. The thing is that the retail versions are:
                6Y120L0 - 2 MB
                and
                6Y120P0 - 8 MB
                I think that for OEM they actually had this 4MB version. The size of the cache is hidder to all diagnostic programs that I ran. I will try Maxtor's Powermax tool (powermax.exe) available from their web-site and let you know if this is for sure 4MB buffer.
                Maxtor offers smaller HDDs if you like it - 6Y080L0 (80GB) and 6Y060L0 (60GB).
                I'd ALWAYS go with MAXTOR though !

Comment

WD's JB series drives (8MB) start at 40GB (got 3 of them myself) and yes SATA II is spose to be separated from the PCI bus but unless some huge leap in hard drive technology takes place then it will still be useless, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=9253 : peace2:

Comment

Working...
                  X