Is ATA 133 backwards compatible with ATA 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ATA 133 backwards compatible with ATA 100

Is ATA 133 backwards compatible with ATA 100?

I haven't tried one yet, but yes... it is supposed to be backwards compatible.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

AFAIK the ATA/133 drives should be fine on an ATA/100 controller :)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Yes, Just like ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 its all backward compatible

Comment

ATA 133 is not yet an industry standard. (owned by Maxtor)
          However, it was designed to be full backward compatible.
          The higher transfer rate of 133 MB/sec is achieved by shortening the cycle time from 40 ns (ATA 100) to 30 ns (ATA 133).
          A couple good reads

http://www.maxtor.com/products/fastdrive/whitepaper.htm

Raid/133

Comment

There are some fairly large architectural changes in the ATA-133 format. The major ones I can see is the 48-bit address bus and and the 137GB limit on the other ATA formats. If you have one of Maxtors new 160GB HDD's, how is a ATA-100 controller giong to see it all if it's address bus limits it to 137GB? Me thinks I may have to do some reading on this!

Comment

Partitioning. :smokin:
              :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                Partitioning. :smokin:
                :cheers:
                Partitioning won't do it because the 137GB limit is the physical limit of what the controller on pre ATA-133 can address. You can only partition a drive if the controller can address it!

Comment

Maybe there is some Ontrack type software to get around the 137Gb limit, like with computers that have an 8Gb limit

Comment

If they're claiming ATA-100 backwards compatability, I'd say they've got some trick like that up their sleeve. As T-Shirt posted, there are some good links regarding ATA-133 off the Maxtor site.

Comment

Originally posted by brashquido

Partitioning won't do it because the 137GB limit is the physical limit of what the controller on pre ATA-133 can address. You can only partition a drive if the controller can address it!
                      Brash is correct, an ATA-100 will not ba able to see more than 137Gb
                      no matter how large your physical disk or array.
                      But a ATA133 controller is backwards comp. with all previous ATA drives
                      If you really need 160Gb of storage now
                      a}buy a pair of 80's (priced about the same, could be used in a raid, greater reliablity( aleast one should work))

b}upgrade motherboard or buy a PCI ATA133 controller card, along with the drive.
                      If your just looking towards future needs, STOP! serial-ATA is coming, prices on ATA133 drive will continue to drop.
                      Buy about what you need for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt

Brash is correct, an ATA-100 will not ba able to see more than 137Gb
                        no matter how large your physical disk or array.
                        But a ATA133 controller is backwards comp. with all previous ATA drives
                        If you really need 160Gb of storage now
                        a}buy a pair of 80's (priced about the same, could be used in a raid, greater reliablity( aleast one should work))

b}upgrade motherboard or buy a PCI ATA133 controller card, along with the drive.
                        If your just looking towards future needs, STOP! serial-ATA is coming, prices on ATA133 drive will continue to drop.
                        Buy about what you need for 3 years.
                        Thanks for your reply T-Shirt,

I'm actually looking to setup a 480GB volume using an IDE Hardware RAID 5 controller card and 4 X Maxtor 160GB HDD's. Currently there seems to only be ATA-100 RAID 5 cards, so I might just hang back for a bit until the whole ATA-133, ATA-100 compatability thing becomes a bit clearer.

What are the advantages of serial ATA, and when is it expected to hit the market?

Comment

Originally posted by LunchBox
                          Is ATA 133 backwards compatible with ATA 100?
                          I just received e-mails back from Maxtor and Promise.

Maxtor say the address bus issue with ATA-133 being a 48-bit address bus, and ATA-100 having a 28-bit address bus will be overcome (with Windows 2000 anyway) with Service Pack 3.

For people looking for an ATA-133 RAID 5 card, the response I received from Promise said they are planning to release one, but didn't specify a release date.

Comment

The recently released Intel Accelerator Application v.2
                            now support 48bit addressing, win 98SE and up are able to see
                            beyond 137GB

Comment

Working...
                            X