raid question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raid question...

i've got an asus a7v333 with raid but haven't set up a raid array yet...doesn't look like I will ever get to it either

my question is, can you use the raid ide's as regular ide's to add more devices to?

It all depends on the controller that is on that mainboard.

I know that the Promise RAID controller on my MSI boards don't support devices other than Hard Drives.

Comment

Just checked the specs of both your and my boards.

Both use the same Promise 20276 controller.

This controller only supports Hard Disks so you're out of luck.

Comment

allright, thanks for researching that for me! :thumb:

Comment

In your A7V333 you can have up to 8 IDE devices (4 in the Promise RAID ports and 4 in the regular IDE ports).
          But as zetter mentioned, in the Promise RAID ports you can only use hard drives, so you are limited to 4 CD/CD-RW/DVD drives, which have to be connected to the regular IDE ports.

Comment

so if I wanted to put in more hard drives and put them on the raid ide's--do I need to do any raid install to get it working, or does the bios pick it up like a regular ide (sorry, I've never done this before)

Comment

You can use it either way. There's a jumper in your motherboard to enable or disable the Promise RAID.
              If you set this jumper to RAID disabled then both Promise ports work as normal IDE ports, with the exception that they will only recognize hard disks.
              If you set it to RAID enabled, then you have to press Crt-F when you boot your PC to enter the Promise RAID setup screens. Here you can set up a RAID 0 or RAID 1 array.
              You can find the exact location of the jumper and the explanation of the Promise setup screens in your motherboard's manual.

Comment

great, thanks for the answers--I think I'll look for that jumper, that seems easier

Comment

the raid ide's are just as fast as the regular ide's right?

Comment

Yes, they are just as fast.

Comment

ok, so I set the raid jumper to disable and hooked up a hard drive, but it's not showing up in windows, and the bios doesn't show it either.

is there anything else i'm supposed to do?

Comment

i would think that you simple enable the controller and plug the drive in, then dont bother goin into the raid configuration tool to configure an array, it should then appear as an extra disk in windows - atleast, thats how a highpoint controller works - surely it would be very similar..?

Comment

I'd suggest putting the jumper back where it's supposed to be, reboot the PC, go into the RAID setup and set up each disk as it's own array. Then they should all appear fine in Windoze.

Comment

Working...
                          X