Moving old HD to new Mtherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving old HD to new Mtherboard

Here's my situation. The lady I work for has a Dell that the mobo has gone bad. I called Dell and they want $300 = just to send me a new motherboard. They MUST be joking. After I told the guy to pull his thumb out of his ass, I decided I'll skip the Dell branded and get my own case and new mobo. My question is..How do I transfer over the old drive onto the new motherboard. Since the HD will be looking for old drivers for the Dell board, how do I get this to work? Or am I making this out to be harder than it really has to be? Thanks in advance folks.

PS Any reccomendations on a good mobo that supports a socket 423 with a P4 1.6Ghz and some RDRAM 600?

the drivers come with the opperating system...they're not on the mobo....as far as drivers go, just plug the hdd and whatever else you have onto the new mobo and install the os and there you go. all done

Comment

If ya runnin' XP then yes it can be done but older operating systems will usually die on the spot unless you use the exact same mobo.
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I might suggest you use some of that money you saved and get a HDD. Install the OS on it and move your files from the other drive over to the new one.

This keeps her files, and gives her more storage.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Well, it's already a 60 GB drive. She really doesn't need a bigger one. In fact maybe I can sneak a smaller one in and kee0p the bigger one for myself...Hmmmm, nah, too risky. I'm gonna try to just put it in the new case. I guess if it doesn't work, than I'll try backing everything up and fdisking. I'd rather not since I did all that less than a month ago cause her XP was acting up on her.

Comment

you may want to backup BEFORE you do all of this...even if you did a month ago, it would be a good idea before trying something like this...backing up on a regular basis is a good habit to get into anyway....hmm, speaking of that, it's time for me to burn some more cd's...

Comment

Backing up goes without saying, we BU everday at work. I'm not worried about losing anything. I just didn't want to have to wast time by RE-installing all the programs all over again. Herre's hoping for the best...:cheers:

Comment

Just be sure to dump as many devices and drivers as ya can before the swap over as this will make it easier for XP to reload the drivers for the new mobo. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                X