file systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• file systems?

two partitions of my drive use the system ntfs my other one uses fat 32. I read somewhere that fat 32 is a better and faster system is there any way of changing and is there much point.

help is grately appreciated

Originally posted by rugbydude
    two partitions of my drive use the system ntfs my other one uses fat 32. I read somewhere that fat 32 is a better and faster system is there any way of changing and is there much point.

help is grately appreciated
    FAT32 is crap.

Stick with NTFS... NTFS is a high-performance journalled filesystem. While it is (not at all noticeably) slower than FAT32, it is not subject to as much fragmentation, and small errors are more easily corrected.

NTFS also allows for tighter security by allowing the administrator to deny access to critical and/or confidential files. Through extensions, NTFS can also support encryption, and compression.

Comment

Also, I forgot to finish my reply...

You cannot convert from NTFS back to FAT32 that I know of.

What you *should* be doing is going from FAT32 to NTFS by typing "C:\>CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS" at the command prompt.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_b
        You cannot convert from NTFS back to FAT32 that I know of
        while there is no command to convert ntfs to fat32, you can format a ntfs drive as fat32 at a later point if you wish, although like josh_b said, ntfs is a better file system. Just keep in mind that any dos based os can't read ntfs and winnt can't read fat32...also ntfs was designed for larger hdds as well, above 20 gigs i thinnk

Comment

Well, i think i have a prob but wanted to ask before i started jumping to conclusions. this is what i've got:

------------------
          System Information
          ------------------
          Time of this report: 1/18/2003, 19:04:4
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
          System Manufacturer: SOYO__
          System Model: AWRDACPI
          BIOS: SOYO - 42302e31
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
          Memory: 512MB RAM
          Page File: 182MB used, 1067MB available
          Primary File System: n/a
          DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
          DX Setup Parameters: Not found

Under my device manager i see my hard drivers of which i have 2.

1)IBM 75gxp 7200 rpm
          2)Western Digital 40 gig 7200 rpm

both ide devices but they show up in my device manager as SCSI devices. I was wondering what might be causing this and if it's a potential problem or not. i do not, nor have i ever, had a SCSI controller card attached to my box. i found a tweak regarding DMA stuff and wated to check it out but it's not even an option according to waht XP say is currently installed. note that i am not having any trouble in particular with my drives but am just curious mostly.

thx,
          ronjon

Comment

The same thing happend to one of my old maxtor drives when i had it hooked up to one of the raid/ata channels. I came to find out that any ide device I hooked up to it was shown as scsi, but on the normal ide channels was not. So there is nothing to worry about, it's just the way win xp interprets the device, it does not happer performance in any way. I used the hdd on the raid/ata channel for a year with out a single problem. I suspect you have a similar issue. BTW, why didn't you start a new thread with this?

Comment

thanks for the help with my question. i just got to thinking and hit the reply button without thinking.

:)
              rj

Comment

anytime

Comment

Working...
                X