Maxtor HDD Acoustic Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor HDD Acoustic Management

Is there a way to disable acoustic management on my 40Gig 133/ATA (2F040J0)?

I've tried looking around on the Maxtor site, to look for any drivers or programs which can disable this ability, but no luck, also I have tried looking around on the internet via search-engines - it only mentions what it does, and that you can disable it, but not HOW you disable it.

I have also tried looking through all the system hardware on device manager, and looked through anything to do with my HDD, but no luck...

It's suppose to make it run just that little bit faster, but it'll make a tiny bit more noise, I don't really mind the noise, as my computer already sounds like a vacuum-cleaner with all the fans inside of it, so I don't think it'll make much diffrence.

Also I have Windows XP if that is of any use.

ThanX for any replies! :)

I'm sorry but I can't help as I wouldn't know, the only Maxtor drives here are a couple of dead ones that I havn't tossed yet (gotta strip the magnets out first). :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Maxtor refers to this as Silent Store technology.

You can get the AMSET utility at;
      http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...p?p_faqid=1200
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

ever try the bios?

Comment

Thanx Mr. C, it actually worked!

No wonder I couldn't find the thing on Maxtor's site because they called it 'Silent Store Technology' while everyone else calls it 'Acoustic Management '.

I'm now going to check the benchmark scores I can get with it now, to see if there's any diffrence.

Also I can't hear any noise coming out of it, only a tiny 'Eut' when I switch my computer on, but that's it from there onwards.

And thanks again for finding the program for me! :D

Plus (You can't set Acoustic Management in the motheroboard's bios, and I don't think that you can with any of them, but thanx for the post 'aznx') :thumb:

Comment

yw Cloud Strife.

The Silent Store technology only applies to the seek function. You should see a marked improvement in head seek times, but there will be absolutely no difference in the time it takes for data transfer - just finds the data up to 8 - 30% faster, depending on the setting you choose.

Interesting Note;
            This utility has also been found to work on some IBM drives that have acoustic management set to "quiet" by the factory. IBM provides no utility themselves, and of course will disown you & the HDD if you try it and run into a problem.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't see anything new in the data transfer results, but the finding delay was something like 8ms as opposed to 12ms, which is a big diffrence in terms of seeking, or at least I like to think so. :p

Comment

LOL

yessir, on a 2100+ a few clock cycles do go by in 4ms. Anything to help feed the hungry beastie has to be a step in the right direction I'd think.

Comment

hmm, oh well, it was in my compaq bios =)

Comment

Originally posted by aznx
                    hmm, oh well, it was in my compaq bios =)
                    Sadly, unless you work for Compaq, I doubt you have ever seen a Compaq BIOS.
                    They only allow you to access a cheesy System Configuration Utility. One of those cost-cutting measures by the manufacturer -- costs less for support services when you don't allow folks to actually dink with the guts of the system you know:hammer:

Comment

An excellent reply there Mr.C. :thumb:

Comment

haha i use a compaq =P..STILL, lol

Comment

And it shows. :rolleyes2

Comment

haha, it gives me no problems so im happy

Comment

Now now children... :rolleyes2

Comment

Working...