No announcement yet.

How do i change my hard drive from slave to master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i change my hard drive from slave to master?

Ok i know i'm gonna sound like an under **** but how do i change my hard drive from slave to master.It used to be a slave to my cd-rom so i disconnected it and know its not a slave.I can't find the switch the change it from slave to master i know wich one to change but that aint good if u can't find the switch.please someone help

You have to change the jumper on the back of the hdd, there should be a diagram on the top of the hdd to tell you how to configure the jumper(s). Jumper settings can also be found at the manufactuer's web site. And for future reference, cd-roms should be set as slave to the hdd, not the other-way around.

Comment

and burners should be on a different ide cable altogether

Comment

this is were it gets wierd there isn't any jumper cable.There's just the power cable and the ide cable thing.

Comment

jumper "cable"? the jumpers are little pieces of palastic and metal that sit ontop of tiny pins...there's no cables involved (aside from the the power and ide cables)....at least not with any hdd i have ever had experience with

Comment

here's an example of a western digital hdd jumper config:

Comment

i aint got one.
              arrrrrrrrgh i'm soo thick.thanx for tellin me bout this i'll try and find one

Comment

right i've stuck one on.FOr some reason i get no performance boost!
                There must be something else wrong with it any ideas

Comment

Each manufacturer has different jumper settings, and one's from maxtor can change from model to model. Make sure you have you jumper settings correct for your configuration. Knowing what kind of hdd you have may be useful to us, as well as any other drives and the order you have them installed. Also, make sure you have DMA enabled for all connected drives. If you have PIO enabled for your hdd, this will give you a huge performace boost. You can find these settings under device manager, but for more accurate instuctions, we will need to know what your OS is.

Comment

My os is windows xp.I've been tryind to find the thing to activate dma but i can't find it.thanx again for any help

Comment

Here is how to enable dma from the begining:

Open the control panel folder (you can get to it from the start menu) and double click on the "System" icon to launch the system applet. There should now be a small window open with seven tabs at the top (General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, ...), click on the "Hardware" tab. Now in the middle of this window, you should see a button with "Device Manager" on it ... click it. Now you should see a long list in the format of windows explorer. About 1/3 the way down the list is an icon with "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", click the + nest to it. There should now be 3 new icons below this. Two of them should say "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel". Double click primary and then click on the "Advanced Settings" tab on the window that pops up. You should now see two sections, Device 0 and Device 1. Next to where it says "Transfer Mode:" select "DMA if available" for both devices. Your HDD will be device 0 if it is set to master on your primary IDE channel. Click "OK". Also do this for Secondary IDE channel as well. Sorry this is so long, but i didn't want to leave anything out.

Comment

Oh i've been looking for that thanx mate.Any other tips to get my hard drive working at tip top performance.Its running better now but it still scores only about 500 on pcmark.Not too good.Any tips will be grately appreciated
                        :flames: :devil win

Comment

It depends. What kind of hard drive to you have: rpms, data transfer type, ext. ? If you have an ata 100/133 hdd and a mobo that supports it, then you will need 80 pin ide cables if you don't have them already. These cables have different color berg connectors (the pieces of plastic that plug into the mobo and devices) on it to distinguish where they are to go (blue for mobo, grey for slave, black for master) and they also have thinner wires as compared to the 40 pin cables. The most important thing to do is to defragment often. I personaly defrag every day, but once a week will do. Make sure you remove power from your computer (disconnect the black cable from your power supply) before you go plugging and unplugging devices inside your computer. Also, discharge any built up esd by touching the bare metal of teh psu.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                            Here is how to enable dma from the begining:

Open the control panel folder (you can get to it from the start menu) and double click on the "System" icon to launch the system applet. There should now be a small window open with seven tabs at the top (General, Computer Name, Hardware, Advanced, ...), click on the "Hardware" tab. Now in the middle of this window, you should see a button with "Device Manager" on it ... click it. Now you should see a long list in the format of windows explorer. About 1/3 the way down the list is an icon with "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", click the + nest to it. There should now be 3 new icons below this. Two of them should say "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel". Double click primary and then click on the "Advanced Settings" tab on the window that pops up. You should now see two sections, Device 0 and Device 1. Next to where it says "Transfer Mode:" select "DMA if available" for both devices. Your HDD will be device 0 if it is set to master on your primary IDE channel. Click "OK". Also do this for Secondary IDE channel as well. Sorry this is so long, but i didn't want to leave anything out.

I donĀ“t have that option in my Device manager!!! How is this possible? I have wondered that a quite long time now
                            :confused:

Comment

that was for winXP

what OS are you running?

Comment

Working...
                              X