Another Deskstar Array FORD'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Deskstar Array FORD'd

:cry: Like some of the others, my IBM's pull'd a FORD ( found...on...the ....road......dead). No warning what so ever........Just died after 18 months.

Well Tweak, :cry: me toooooooo............

Well just goes to show ya, ya can never tell. The IMB's were the rave reveiw's when I got them.

Replace it with a "JB" series WD. :thumb:

Comment

;) But the current plans are to upgrade this baby are limited to:

A new XP 2100+, the max'd end..............

A new GF4 TI 4200..............

Another stk of 512 P2100 (raising her to 1gig)

The next round of serious $$$$$ goes into a new Hammer Rig, when this one goes to college with #2 daughter.

Can't complaint this has been a good Rig and a great bldg adventure..............started this one when the XP's were a roomer, along with DDR.

:D

Comment

Well Dlab your not alone.......my deathstar just died on me without warning. After about 15 months for me. Just two days ago I was organizing all my files and retitling mp3's and stuff like that and renaming video's and all sorts of files you know keeping organized. THen I thought it was time to run a nice session of scan disk and defrag. I haven't done that in quite a while and I was 6% fraggmented. Of course scan disk caught no errors which is the usual and I ran system works and it found like 5 errors. The next day my system was back up and running after the defrag. But! late yesterday say about 6:30.............I was listening to mp3's and I got up to go the bathroom. When I opened the door I heard like a skipping sound. I walked in my room to look at a blue screen of death on my screen. That skipping sound? Apparently was the mp3 in the middle of playing when it locked up. At first I thought nothing of it so I hit the good 'ol restart button only something usual didn't happen. The bios wouldn't pick up my drive........IBM DeathStar has just walked down the darkhallway.

Its really upsetting though cuase I lost like 32 gig worth of stuff that I had. On a 41 gig after "maintaining" my system I knew I only had like 8 gig left. So I knew it was comming time for a new drive soon. but not like this................not like this at all.

Anyway on the bright side I purchased a WD 80GIG Special Edition Drive. I'm hoping this drive will serve me better then my deathstar did. BUt then again I got more then a year out of the ibm. I'm hopeing the WD doesn't pull the same crap on me.

Comment

De pinga meng...oye verda que los IBM Deskstar son una mierda....por lo meno vas con el Western Digital SP.ED. ...que te valla bien.:thumb:
          - Damien

Comment

............. their diffinatly not of the quaility of the Ye old Boot Drive (a 6 or 7 year old Seagate....I've forgotten) that I installed with this system.... kind of neat, switched a cables and was backup running a few minutes...........

I'm back on a nice maxtor and looking for something new for something as reliable as all the old Big Foots I've got running arround the house in the Kid's rigs.

BLNT
            :thumb:

Comment

right now I'm on a western digital drive until my new drive comes in. But its not just any wd. Its an ancient one. I'm on a 2gigger with win98 loaded on. :(

I sware its so slow with the drive. Newer drives REALLY REALLY make a difference in computer speed. I can hear the drive clicking away and whenever it does my computer goes all to hell. Mouse skipping. I can't even open more then one app at the same time.

Comment

:cry:
                that really sucks man.

I've never had physical problems with any of my drives....and I've had a few.
                But I'm there with ya man...Win98? Oh you poor, poor man.

Comment

Working...
                X