cd's not found on raid mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cd's not found on raid mobo

Just built a box with a Soyo dragon + 1900xp, 2 hd's 1cdrw 1 dvd. When I boot it takes a long time looking for the ide's then boots. It doesn't find the cd's. I switched the jumper on the mobo to enable 4 ide's but nothing. When I installed xp I had the cdrw in the ide 2 spot and it worked fine. I got the newest driver from soyo and it says hit f6 then s nothing. Did they mean before I put the jumper on ide? Is there a big gain using 4 ide's over the master slave setup? XP is also taking a long time to boot. Sorry for all the question just want to get this puppy going. :cry:
    Any hekp would be appreciated Ed
    What about the jumpers on the hd's and cd's all master?

Before I start spouting useless info at ya, which drives have you got on which controller?

Ie:

Normal IDE ports- 2 HDDs

RAID IDE ports - 2 CD drives...

???

Comment

I have the 40 gig 7200 on ide 1, the 30 gig 5400 on ide 2, the dvd on ide 3 (raid ) and the cdrw on ide 4 (raid) I hope this helps.
      thanx Ed
      what are the hd and cd jumpers set to? All master if I use ide 1, 2, 3, 4?

Comment

You might find that cdrom devices wont function on the raid ports.
        Try putting your hdds on the raid ports, and your cdroms on the standard ide ones. See how you go with that.

Comment

BZ, I" try it and see what happens. thanx. Ed

Comment

Well those drives should work provided you have the jumper set to standard IDE operation (see page 43 of your manual with another reference on page 51) and also make sure that the controller is enabled in ya BIOS and that both drives are set as master as well and all should work fine. ;)
            <center> </center>

Comment

if its a Highpoitn raid controller it should be right,
              if its promise,
              put the hdds on the raid and the cds on the ide channels

you should do that anyway cos ur hdds will be the ones with the performance increase on the raid controller, not ur cd/dvd
              SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
              Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Do I set the cd's and the hd's to master? In the bios are all the devices set to scsi? Both my hd's show up now but nothing on ide 3 & 4. (dvd cdrw) I am going to switch them but the last time all I got was 2 cd devices.I checked the jumper and the bios to make sure the controller was enabled. I want 4 ide's. Is there a gain in speed over the master slave setup? Thanx Ed :beer
                promise controller

Comment

If ya runnin' 1 of each then set them all to masters. ;)

Comment

RTFM, it sounds like you haven't got the raid setup right yet

there may be an advantage of using you raid ports as IDE3/4

Comment

I think he just wants to use it as a standard IDE controller which it's quite capable of doing. ;)
                      <center> </center>

Comment

if you have ever read ANYTHING about promise controllers the FIRST thing you will see is that they CAN NOT run CD-roms - that is WHY the HPT controllers are preferred - because they fcan funciton as a normal controller... i also belive promise controllers may need an actuall raid setup running - not just sepetrate drives but of that i am not sure

this is why it sint showing up... and if the hdds never showed up when you swapped them over then you musn't have the raid controller enabled properly
                        SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                        Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Well I read the manual for that board and it should work as it says so. ;)
                          <center> </center>

Comment

In the manual for the soyo dragon + SY-K7V it says on page57, onboard promise ide raid. On the mobo chip it says promise.What about the ultra family driver? Does that have to be installed at the initial setup? When you install the ultra family driver where does it write to? HD, promise chip ? :eek: thanx Ed
                            Is there any real speed agin in using 4 ide's over the master slave config?

Comment

Check your Device Manager and see if it's showing and if it does but with the yellow fault sign just load the drivers there and if it doesn't show go into the control panel and run add hardware. I know the Promise Lite version doesn't support CD drives of any type but this is suppose to be the Ultra version which you just can't boot from the CD on. :smokin:
                              <center> </center>

Comment

Working...
                              X