No announcement yet.

cd's not found on raid mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the 2 hd's on ide 3 & 4 and the dvd and cdrw on 1 & 2 it sees everything but the second hd. Any thoughts. No I mean about the computer. ;) thanx Ed

Comment

Bugger ^that^ was mine and if you arn't sharing an IDE channel the channel will be faster. ;)
      <center> </center>

Comment

Is it reporting the HDD on 3 as the correct size? :smokin:

Comment

yes it shows the correct size. i am going to check the cables. On boot the promise controller only finds one hd. Whats up with that? thanx Ed only one hd in device mngr

Comment

Sorry gettin' tired and about time for bed but what I meant was both the standard IDE controller as well as the other in the Device Manager and the driver for it can be added thru the Device Manager as it needs to be in Windows. :smokin:
            <center> </center>

Comment

Still no hd on ide 3. Checked device manager for errors, nothing.
              Checked cables. ok. Checked hd to make sure it was working, it is.
              The ultra promise controller says it only finds the hd on ide 3.
              Thanx Ed:cry:

Comment

OK, for the master slave question you keep asking, there is a ever so slight drop in speed, but who cares.. for the HDD that isn't showing up, try set it up on the same cable as your DVD drive. Set the HDD to master, and the DVD to slave. There could be many reasons why it didn't work on the other port.. have you tried another cable in the same port, have you enabled both ports in the BIOS, etc.. but for the sake of getting it workin, just do what I suggested above.

Comment

Originally posted by SileNceR
                  i also belive promise controllers may need an actuall raid setup running - not just sepetrate drives but of that i am not sure

My Promise FastTrak 100 "Lite" runs a single drive no problems - the controller simply stripes the drive against itself, so it can't be taken out and used on a normal IDE controller but runs fine on another Promise one :geek:
                  What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

which is one of the main reasons that you can only run HDDs on RAID controllers.. imagine striping a CD drive on itself.. not quite gonna work... :D

Comment

unlike the Highpoint controller which has brilliantly added Standard as an automatic option for their IDE RAID crontroller, as it means you don't have to setup a drive array, nor are you limited to HDs only on the controller, i believe the ALi equivalient chipset also has the PnP capability with drives however does not support CDROMs, then theres the Promise controller (I know little about it myself) which seems to only support HDs and only ones configured as Single or Multiple Disk Arrays...

Does this seem an adequate summary of the given information so far?

Comment

Straight from the manual. :?:

Comment

I tried all this and could only get ide 3 hd, ide 1 & 2 for dvd & cdrw. I loaded the ultra family driver also. Do you have to install the ultra family driver only on the first install of xp? When I hit f6 it let me hit a: and choose my driver from the floppy, but this was during a reinstall after I found out about the ultra driver. I tried
                          other config's and all the drives are working. I enabled the promise driver in the bios and the scsi/ata in bios. When booting the promise controller only finds 1 hd on ide 3. Should I have set the bios before installing the driver? Thanx Ed

Comment

Working...
                          X