Help with Ultra DMA Mode!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Ultra DMA Mode!!!

I can't activate UltraDMA and my HD is sooooooo slow.

In "Device Manager", 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' it says "DMA if available, but in "Current Transfer mode" it says "PIO mode"

My HD supports UltraDMA, but I don't know the UltraDMA Mode and PIO Mode in the BIOS to activate it.

A little lax on the system specifics here, but if you have a newer mainboard with the Phoenix/Award BIOS, then you might have some luck looking under the "Integrated Peripherals" header. Many will have an OnChip Functions sub-header where you can set the board's ability to utilize UDMA drives to their fullest.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I had a similar problem with my "on the board" IDE controller that my DVD and CD-R were connected to. Initially it worked fine, but after a couple days I noticed my CD-R would not record any faster than 8x. I checked the settings and sure enough, it said PIO mode, even though the DMA if availible was selected. I then found the Microsoft Tech Article below, and by removing the IDE controller from the device manager and allowing it to re-install, I then changed both to PIO Only Mode, and then Re-opened Device Manager and set to DMA mode, and it worked.

Hope this solves the problem for you,

J.Roberts

Comment

If you have an optical drive on the channel with the hard drive you may also see this problem.

Comment

Working...
        X