Serial ATA Raid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial ATA Raid?

I have tried to set up my IT7 MAX2 with a raid0 using the Serial ATA ports with no success. The drives are not 'seen' by the HPT bios even though the Abit blurb would suggest it is possible. Has anyone else had better results?

Are both drives set as "master"? Do you have the correct cables and adapters and are they set up right?

Comment

First off let me point out that I'm still new with the whole Serial ATA thing.

That said, why would your Highpoint chip detect your Serial ATA RAID array? Aren't the RAID functions taken care of by s different chip on the mainboard? I know that a lot of manufacturers are using a Silicon Image chip to handle the SATA RAID duties and also using the Highpoint chip to handle the standard RAID functions.

As I said, I'm new to SATA, but if I have the wrong information, refer to the first sentence of this post. ;)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Thanks for your input guys ...
        bigjack, I had the drives both set as 'cable select' (with the correct cables and convertors) so maybe I should try again using 'master'?

Darthtanion, afaik the Highpoint chip IS the raid controller - Abit imply that the SATA ports are available as raid ports but do not give any more details.

Comment

That is why I was asking about the Highpoint controller. I understand that it IS the RAID controller, but it is the RAID controller for the ATA133 and below type drives (i.e. IDE). SATA requires a different controller to handle the RAID functions of THAT type of drive. Silicon Image is the only one I have seen so far being used on motherboards, but there may be others.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Not really sure here ... but Abit state that the ports are '2 channel serial ata interface of 1.5 Gbps' but I cant see anything else but the HPT374 controller (which only supports ATA133)
            If the HPT chip does control the ATA150 part then surely a serial raid should be possible.

Comment

Update:

I have now succeeded in setting up a raid0 array on the Serial ATA ports .... sort of :D

The array works fine - but the puter now takes so long to boot I have reverted back to good old IDE. The drives are detected (eventually) as channel 2 & 3 and only when jumpered as masters. The bios now waits for 30 seconds while it cycles through hpt channels 1&2, and then appears to hang for 30 seconds while displaying 'verifying pool data' and just when you think it has crashed it boots as normal with the same raid performance as usual.

Anyone else had experience in this area?

Comment

Working...
              X