Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenging cloning from IDE (or PATA) drive to SATA drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging cloning from IDE (or PATA) drive to SATA drive?

Hello Everyone,

I am servicing a computer that is running Windows XP. The computer is running very slow so I have decided to install a new hard drive, and to clone the contents of the existing hard drive to the new hard drive.

The computer uses an ECS motherboard - ECS Web Site > C51GM-M (V1.0)

The existing hard drive is a Western Digital "IDE" (or PATA) 160 Gig drive, and the new drive is an Hitachi SATA 1 Terabyte drive.

I have attempted to clone the existing drive using Acronis True Image 2014; however whilst doing so I received the message below -

I suspect that the Acronis software failed because of the fact that I am trying to clone from an IDE to a SATA drive. However there may be additional considerations that I have not taken into account.

Here is a screen capture of the BIOS screen (before booting into Windows XP) -

I am concerned that the dated BIOS may be an issue; this motherboard only has two SATA connectors, and they have never been used, so I am wondering if anybody can give any specific advice on this front?

Furthermore I am also concerned that there are specific issues with cloning from an IDE to a SATA drive. If anybody has any insights on this front they will be greatly appreciated.

If Acronis cannot perform the required task I am open to using alternative software, such as CloneZilla.

All comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Re: Challenging cloning from IDE (or PATA) drive to SATA drive?

Your system is really old, please try to set it to AHCI, but I think there is no such option in BIOS.
    So just install your system fresh. The performance of a SSD can't be really achieved with your system.

Comment

Working...
    X