SanDisk Webinar Question - Chat with Chris, Paul and Jon from TweakTown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SanDisk Webinar Question - Chat with Chris, Paul and Jon from TweakTown

There were a number of questions left when the time ended during the webinar with SanDisk. If you have any questions please post them below and we'll answer them as quickly as possible.

Re: SanDisk Webinar Question - Chat with Chris, Paul and Jon from TweakTown

First, I'd like to say I learned a lot from the webinar. The comparison with the hybrid hard disk drives is very helpful. Also, the last question was really helpful!

Anyway, when it comes to mSATA SSDs vs regular SSDs, is there any performance difference? mSATA SSDs are getting larger in terms of capacity nowadays and I believe ultrabooks are starting to use them. Would they likely replace regular SSDs soon or there are differences to the two?
    Website Broker and Hardware Reviewer

Comment

Feel free to ask your SSD questions here!
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

That is a great question. To give a complete answer I'm going to get a bit technical.

mSATA SSDs generally only have 4 packages, the flash that you see on the drive. Often times, the drives only use 4 channels of the controller as well. For the most part performance is the same but in some cases performance drops slightly as well. Under normal use you won't notice a difference.

mSATA drives use 3.3 volts of power where as a 2.5" drive uses 5 volts. Again, it's often the case that you'll get better notebook battery life with mSATA but the difference isn't as large as going from a hard drive to a SSD.

Comment

a very very long time lurker, time to register!

kinda sucked I missed this I was at work so couldnt attend to it. very informative utube video though love the detailed stuff.

Comment

^ Hey! I kinda remember you back in rwlabs forums :) webinar is good. Like the highlights about SSD vs hybrid hard drives and about latency of hardware components. Yeah gotta love the detailed stuff!
            Website Broker and Hardware Reviewer

Comment

Originally posted by najiro View Post
              ^ Hey! I kinda remember you back in rwlabs forums :) webinar is good. Like the highlights about SSD vs hybrid hard drives and about latency of hardware components. Yeah gotta love the detailed stuff!
              hey najiro!

people are saying 4k random ready/write is important and I think it is too but low latency and over provision is more important, theres also firmware and controller of course. look at toshiba Q pro 4k isn't so impressive but it's hella faster than everything else.

Comment

I just found the presentation on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIGFkTANEQ

Comment

Working...
                X