A 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM hard drive installed in the same PC,
    connected on the same ribbon cable.

I once heard (awhile ago) that the system will only operate at
    the slower of the 2 drives. Kinda like the convoy can only move
    as fast as the slowest ship.

Is this actually true???

Thanks.

:?:

Hmm, i doubt that...since they are not working in conjuction to each other only one at a time. I believe they will work according to their rated RPM's.
    - Damien

Comment

Flaco is exactly right. The 7200RPM HD will work at 72k while the 5400RPM HD will happily strole along at 54K. You will notice that when accessing the 72K things will run smoother then the 54K one.

Comment

It's not the spindle rpm that makes a difference, it's the transfer mode. Two drives on the same channel will operate at the transfer rate of the slowest rated drive. That's why you don't put optical drives on the same channel as the hard drive.

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

I will check the transfer rates on my drives
          and match them in that manner...

:thumb:

Comment

No Prob.. keep us updated...:)
            - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
              Flaco is exactly right. The 7200RPM HD will work at 72k while the 5400RPM HD will happily strole along at 54K. You will notice that when accessing the 72K things will run smoother then the 54K one.
              dude i wouldnt say 72k and 54k........... k denotes 1,000 so u are literally saying 72,000 and 54,000 rpm............ hell id like to see one of THOSE drives (given the fastest are seagate cheetah's @ 15,000)

Comment

Working...
              X