No announcement yet.

Can I Convert a RAID1 Array To a Single Drive OS Without Formatting or OS Reloading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Convert a RAID1 Array To a Single Drive OS Without Formatting or OS Reloading?

I want to convert my OS RAID1 array to a Single Drive OS system without formatting or OS reloading?

This is an older system I have about the basement and want one of the drives but need to keep the system as is for backup.

A Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo with two WD 750GB RE3 drives.
    Win& Pro.
    The Intel Raid ports.

Thanks!
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Re: Can I Convert a RAID1 Array To a Single Drive OS Without Formatting or OS Reloading?

Anyone?

Comment

How I Migrated an OS RAID1 Array Over To another Single Disc Drive With No Data Loss

The above Title is for poor souls like me doing a search for this Scenario.

My System:

Windows Seven Pro
      Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      HDD's - 2 Western Digital 750GB RE3
      The on board Intel Raid.
      The destination drive, a Western Digital 750GB Caviar Green AACS-00ZJB I had laying about.

The Ware: Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition from their downloads site.

Acquire The Acronis Ware.
      Acquire a Hard Drive suitable for the job.
      Shut the system down.
      For the sake of having a backup - Disconnect one of the RAID 1 drives. (I pulled the 2nd in the list of the two. Not sure if it matters)
      Install and connect the Hard Drive you want to become the single OS system disc. (No need to have it formatted Acronis will do this)
      Boot up. If you have the boot screen showing during boot you see the "degraded" message in the RAID status.
      Start up Acronis to the cloning section and I chose the auto or express recommend method over the advanced.
      It will ask you to select the Source and the Destination from the list of what it sees, and for confirmations. Let her rip!
      It will ask you if you want to shut down when complete or something else, I forget but I chose the default choice to shut down.
      When complete (I returned after mowing the yard an hour later and it was shut down) removed the remaining RAID 1 drive. (I did some rearranging of the drive location in the bay and cable routing and moved the SATA cable to a port on the motherboard of my choice)
      Boot up. Done!

In my case it was like nothing happened. Everything was in place. I also still have my original Raid array intact. But I am doing this to get my hands on the two drives for other purposes.

You may be able to use one of the Arrays drives by discounting it, then connecting it to another port, booting to see if the array is degraded, letting Acronis do its thing, disconnecting the remaining array drive and booting. But this is for the brave of heart. And I'm not sure it will work. You may need to format the drive some how 1st.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: Can I Convert a RAID1 Array To a Single Drive OS Without Formatting or OS Reloading?

Glad you got it. I would have suggested one of the free apps like EaseUS free version.
        I have never had good luck with Acronis, not when I really really needed it to work such as restoring a system image.
        Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
        Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
        Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
        HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
        SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Thanks, Love my RAID1 and GenieSoft BU ware.

Comment

Working...
          X