No announcement yet.

Raid - 0 Performance in Stupid Terms???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid - 0 Performance in Stupid Terms???

Ok...i dont want high tech info...i just want plain dumb answers...since i cant get them anywhere else...here we go

1 - What does it feel like when in raid 0 coming from a regular single IDE HDD

for example...are boot times faster...programs opening faster...games open faster...more responsive??? be specific but stupid...lol

Also can someone explain how scsi feels like and if you can compair it to raid 0 ....

Thanks...and please follow the stupid rules...sorry guys...im alittle slow from the other night...bear with me...wink wink...and thanks for slowing your minds for this post...lol...peace

FiReBLaZR...Duh
    :flames: :flames: :flames: :flames: :flames:

You won't generally get a huge increase in speeds unless you do a lot of large file transfers. This is where the RAID setup takes a huge advantage.

The biggest reason that the speeds aren't dramatically higher is because most of today's modern drives are getting very fast. Hell, even the new WD 8MB cache drives are coming close to SCSI speeds. There just isn't that much of a performance increase for this to be the main reason for going RAID.

The big draw for RAID systems (besides the prestige factor) is space. Instead of going out and buying a slower drive with 180GB of space, you can just get a matching drive to the one you have and effectively double the storage capacities on your PC. Even better, the RAID abilities (writing to both drives at once) allows the storage space to be accessed at the speeds that aren't so slow as the larger drives available today.

Beware, though... Since you are in essence fooling the computer into thinking there is only one drive installed, a broken array will kill ALL DATA on both drives.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      You won't generally get a huge increase in speeds unless you do a lot of large file transfers. This is where the RAID setup takes a huge advantage.

The biggest reason that the speeds aren't dramatically higher is because most of today's modern drives are getting very fast. Hell, even the new WD 8MB cache drives are coming close to SCSI speeds. There just isn't that much of a performance increase for this to be the main reason for going RAID.

The big draw for RAID systems (besides the prestige factor) is space. Instead of going out and buying a slower drive with 180GB of space, you can just get a matching drive to the one you have and effectively double the storage capacities on your PC. Even better, the RAID abilities (writing to both drives at once) allows the storage space to be accessed at the speeds that aren't so slow as the larger drives available today.

Beware, though... Since you are in essence fooling the computer into thinking there is only one drive installed, a broken array will kill ALL DATA on both drives.
      Long time no see Darth...and thanks for the info...

So would i see a large difference from my current WD 30gig 5400rpm hard drive with a WD 8mb cache HDD???

Comment

On that swap the answer is YES! Your old drive spins at a slow 5400 RPM. Even a normal 7200 RPM drive would give you a noticeable difference in disk speed.

**Thinks back to when I made that same change-over**

If you do decide to go the RAID route, then get a pair of matched drives. Same model / same manufacturer / same size... the works. This will give you the best overall performance when you set up the RAID array.
        My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
          FiReBLaZR[/size]]
          So would i see a large difference from my current WD 30gig 5400rpm hard drive with a WD 8mb cache HDD???
          Not only will you be amazed by the difference but you'll be wonderin' why ya never went to a 7200rpm drive long before. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I like my RAID.
            But then again i do alot of Photoshop, Illustrator, and soon Maya type stuff. So its worth it for me to load files quickly and have a super fast swap. I make a little money with em too, so it pays for itself.
            Ive been thinking about useing my two current RAID drives as storage for P2P type stuff, and buying two 80GB WDJB's, effectively doubling my harddrive space (ihave two 40's now) plus those two 40's, tripling. id be pushing ah.... 160... plus... 40 and and 40... minus RAID... divided by clock speed.... plus dick size.... er, sorry equals dick size... 240GB, 160 of those being JB RAID fast. Too bad JB's are as expensive as they are otherwise id have no prob switching. What are they now 180US for an 80gig JB?

Comment

Are they really that much there? :?:

I paid $240aus here 6 weeks ago for mine. ;)

Usually you'se pay half. :(

Comment

I havent checked, and i didnt check for that past post.... pricewatch says... hmmmm, US$109 plus shipping, waaaaaay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Not only will you be amazed by the difference but you'll be wonderin' why ya never went to a 7200rpm drive long before. ;)
                  Especially with that 8MB cache...that just adds icing to the cake...:thumb:
                  - Damien

Comment

icing?
                    is that the new slang term for performance?
                    man, ive been out too long.

Comment

That term is not only used in computer forums...its when something is good and there is actually something that can make it better, hence "icing on the cake". Cake is good but icing makes it better:D .
                      - Damien

Comment

;)

Comment

I've been wanting to ask this question as well, just never got drunk enough to have an excuse!

I'm going to be using (2) WD se 80G 8mg 7200 hard drives, @ RAID 0, on my new system I'm building. I can't wait to get all the parts.

I found them at www.googlegear.com for $120US.

Comment

If you were planning on making us jealous, it worked. :p

Good luck in the RAID setup. Make sure to let us know how everything turns out.
                            My Toys

Comment

Nah, he'd only make me jealous if it was 4 x 120GB JB's in a RAID 0+1 setup. :D

now I have 4 RAID channels so that would be 8 x JB's which would cost..... :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X