harddrive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harddrive problem

I have ASUS motherboard P4S533 (latest bios). Harddrive: Maxtor D740X Ultra DMA133 7200RPM. Windows XP pro.
    Problem is that Windows shows my harddrive as SCSI drive. There is no option to enable disk write caching. Because of this Windows takes long to boot up.
    Bootvis also shows that disk write caching is disabled but there is no option to enable it.
    I'm open to any suggestions...
    Thanks
    Robson13

I was hoping someone who is familiar with your mobo would respond to your post, as I am not. I have pretty much the same thing on my MSI board in device manager, but my hd is on a raid channel. It has been my experience that raid channels always show up as scsi devices and have settings that differ from ordinary ide channels. You did not mention raid.

Comment

Well, there is no RAID on this Mobo. Bios shows my drives and DMA correctly. Problem is with Win XP Pro.

Comment

Have you loaded the latest mobo drivers? When you loaded xp, you didn't press F6 and load any drivers when it prompted you for 3rd party drivers for accessing hds did you?

Comment

All my drivers are current. I have heard that this is due to IDE controller like "Promise". I don't know for sure, will investigate. Besides reporting as SCSI in Win XP there is no problem with it.

Comment

Promise and High Point make most of the onboard ide raid controllers. I'm pretty sure ide on your board is controlled by the SIS chipset.

Comment

Yes, that is true. I have IDE utility installed and it shows my drive correctly but not Windows.

Comment

Check this post in hardware\via

Via Driver Recommendations

See the note on Via miniport drivers.

Comment

i wouldnt think disk write caching slows u down by that great a degree, i usually disable that cache option so that if my pc loses power then i dont lose as much data, i have several maxtor drives under winxp pro, so i would haveto say that the prob if it is anythin, its the ide drivers.

Comment

I installed my old 10G Seagate to see what will happen. Works like dream. Obviously my new 80G Maxtor is bad although it will pass all powermax test.

Comment

here's something to try.. on the jumper settings you should be able to set it to a 32GB drive.... try that and see what happens

Comment

Don't have to. Drive is recognized correctly. NTFS file system.
                        Drivers are not a problem. First two months this Maxtor was OK.
                        Whole problem developed about two weeks ago.
                        I called maxtor today. New drive is in transit.

Comment

Ahh, ok. sorry, I didn't realise.

At least it's getting replaced.

Comment

Working...
                          X