WD Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD Trouble

If you do any changes to the drive partitions with fdisk, I guarantee you that you will lose your data. I take it that this is a second hard drive as you say you've looked at it in Windows. How is it hooked up in your machine, i.e. one of 2 drives on the ide channel, on the primary or secondary channel(raid channel?), how is it partitioned and formatted? Is your bios set to auto-detect it?
    The more info, the better the help.

Comment

Comment

Sounds like you have lost the drive if it's upsetting the IDE controller. :(
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I agree with Wiggo, the drive may be bad. There are a couple of other things you can try.

Reload the VIA 4 in 1 drivers in case the ide drivers are corrupted.

If you got a utilities floppy with the drive, W.D. includes a diagnostic program that you can run that may help you diagnose what's wrong (I think you can download it at W.D.'s site too.)

Even though it is pretty light duty, you can run scandisk from a boot floppy (this keeps windows out of the way) and see if it has a clue. The last couple of versions of Norton Utilities will boot from the cd so you can run Diskdoctor.

Try swapping the jumpers on the drives and see if the problem moves. It's really rare, but I have run into bad jumpers. Usually the conductor falls out or one side of it beaks off.

You can try booting from a floppy and use the command: format d:(or whatever the drive letter is) /mbr and see whether it works or what error message it generates.

If all else fails, I hope it is under warranty.

Comment

Comment

Sorry dude but it does happen. :(

Comment

Working...
              X