simple RAID question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple RAID question

i plan on building a pc with the abit at7 mobo. i'd like to use a 20gb hdd for winxp and raid 2 x 60gb hdd for data. is this possible? if so, can you give me some basic information on how to connect the cables so i won't be totally confused when i read the manual? i've never seen a raid controller/mobo.

thanks

thats pretty much how i have mine set up, cept different MB.

i have one drive plugged into the primary master as a boot drive. and 2 drives in raid. The raid on the MB should have 2 IDE connectors, just plug 1 drive into each of those set as master. and thats it, when yer system is booting up it will get to a screen where its detecting the drives on the raid controller, enter the configuration of the controller and hopefully it will have an auto setup option that will automatically assign the 2 drives to a raid. it will then take a while to build the raid array on the disks, but when thats done and you get into windows you should be able to use the disk management to format and assign a drive letter.

Comment

Birdkiller has it right...there should be a command...the AT7 from Abit uses the Highpoint controller..so the command will be Ctrl+H.
      That command can be entered right after the system finshes the memory check and goes into drive detection. Enter the command when the system prompts you and you will enter Highpoint's Bios type setup screen. You will have the choice to make three different types of raid configs. Raid_0, Riad_1, and Raid0+1. You are most likely looking for a Raid_0 setup. Choose that and select a boot disk out of the two HD's you installed. After that reboot and install windows like a normal HD...windows will think you have just one HD. At windows setup you will need to install the controller's drivers i believe it is F6 at windows setup.

*Remember to insert the Ribbon Cables to the correct IDE ports for the Raid controller (motherboard manual should point that out) and not the normal IDE.

*Also try to use two HDD of the same model, brand and size...everything alike so you can get the most out of your array.

Good Luck:thumb:
      - Damien

Comment

cool!
        much luck is needed.
        thanks for the info.
        :p

Comment

You're welcome buddy...remember to keep us updated.
          - Damien

Comment

What are you using the raid for? speed or redundancy?

Comment

its IDE raid so its a waste using it for redundency

Comment

The I'd boot my system from the raid disks, it's faster (if you are not playing safe at least enjoy it!).

Comment

i'll be using the raid hdd for speed b/c i want to do dv-editing. but i'm away form my home base for the next month, so it'll be a while before i actually buy parts and set it up.
                  fingers crossed x 1 month

Comment

Then I'd certainly boot from the raid as it will increase your overall speed a bit.

Comment

I suppose that next month P4 2.53 will be cheaper ;-) (Unless you are of the lucky ones who can buy 2.8)

Comment

Working...
                      X