A Warning to anyone buying Drives or Building a system WITHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Warning to anyone buying Drives or Building a system WITHO

Sure we've had the discussions and whatnot, and I'm sure Wiggo's linked this page, but I did not realize the leap in performance we are about to witness. :eek: :eek:

This is a rant written about Maxtor's stupid adoption of ATA133, and why no other brands jumped on the bandwagon, as well as a very thorough discussion on the capability of Serial ATA. I suggest you read it in its entirety.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=151

Its not that long of an article, so you might as well read it, but here are a few highlights:
    ATA133 is pointless, in more ways then one.
    ATA33 was great, and with the advent of DMA, things were looking up for the long grey ribbon. Then came ATA66 and people started noticing something, it wasn't really "66." Of course, when -33 came out it was such a drastic improvement over previous IDE data transfer methods that no one bothered to notice that it wasn't "33."
    Then came along ATA100 and everyone knew not to expect much out of it. It used the same cable as ATA66 did, and after being let down by ATA66 we just weren't ready to jump on the bandwagon of hypothetical speed. While -66 is faster then -33, -100 didn't really show much improvement.
    [b]Even with a 7200RPM drive and a low seek time, it was impossible for anyone to burst to 100. In fact, most -66 and -100 drives have trouble bursting to -45.
    So, what's the point of ATA133 in terms of speed? There is no point, no one will be able actually achieve that kind of speed, even if they have the right cable, IDE card and hard drive. Plain and simple, if you were thinking of replacing your -66 with a -133, don't bother, wait for Serial ATA to come out and then upgrade.
    [b]Serial ATA really will be to hard drives what fiber optics was to telecommunications.

yeah that is true but its a bragging right, i like to say yeah its a ata 100 and not and ata66 its just to boost the ego, and anyways maybe you getlucky and you get stuff that gets the speeds then you got a faster machine you know B

Comment

It's like, "I've got an 8MB cache WD hard drive", now that's a bragging right. :D
      <center> </center>

Comment

Do you doubt the performance increase of S-ATA or are you commenting on the futility of ATA133? :?:

In the case of the 8MB WD drives, I think there is a TON more gained by the 8MB drives than anything involved with the ATA133 standard. No benchmark yet has claimed an ATA133 situation to be faster than the ATA100 counterpart.

Either way, ATA133, ATA100, and all previous versions are dead. Serial ATA is king of the hill, and don't upgrade without it.

Comment

On the ATA133 actually, it's only really now that we may see an improvement from ATA66 to ATA100 but the little will only be by cache burst and higher density storage rates.
          Serial ATA will be very good but I think I'll wait for my "Clawhammer" setup maybe late next year. ;)

Comment

ok, here's a question...

i'm getting a new kt400 mainboard (as soon as it's available)
            i'll get it with serial ata.

--> can i use my current ata-133 (maxtor) hd at the same time as a new serial ata drive ? (when i eventually get one)

(i know it won't run as fast, but it'll be for the extra storage)
            SPAM Special Ops

Comment

It looks like most manfacturers so far are supporting both. ;)

Comment

sweet....
                SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Yes, S-ATA will be completely backwards compatable, as long as you buy the right dongles, but I still think it won't be any faster. And not nearly as fast as just having everything in S-ATA. That is the impression I got from the article.

Most of us aren't real fond of Maxtor, so if you can possibly return your drive and wait for a better brand, and a version supporting S-ATA I think you will thank us. If not though, I'm sure it will make a fine storage drive as long as you keep it cool.

Comment

Ya, it'll be my main drive for a couple months, then I'll get a new Serial-ATA HD....But I'll keep this Maxtor for extra storage.
                    SPAM Special Ops

Comment

But S-ATA is coming out at 150MB/s right? are we going to see drives consitently getting this fast? i mean its very good for an ATA100 drive to benchmark 40MB/s in a RAID0 setup.

S-ATA is also set to top out at a 'THEORETICAL' speed of 600MB/s. The way things have gone so far, when S-ATA 600 drives are out, we might actually see them break 150MB/s. I agree about ATA133 being a joke, as is ATA100 and even 66 for that matter. An ATA100 drive, transfers slower than 33MB/s (as does an ATA133) WTF is that crap.

Comment

An ATA100 drive, transfers slower than 33MB/s (as does an ATA133) WTF is that crap.
                        Yea, You should read that article I linked to.... :?:

Comment

is all s-ata hot swapable

Comment

I believe so.

Comment

how much will these SATA drives cost ?? that's a good question....no ??
                              SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Working...
                              X