• Partitian performance size

HDD imo seem to opperate at there best when only
    about 30% of capacity is used.
    My query is
    A partition within this HDD for your o/s ect. should it have
    say 70% excess size for max.operation

pdv

What exactly are you asking there?

Partition percentages, are far as I know, don't make any noticable different to performance. I originally used to run a 6/24GB partition split on my 30GB drive, put all the O/S and applications on the 6, and everything else on the 24. I've seen people do it the other way... no different really.

Comment

Originally posted by pdv
      HDD imo seem to opperate at there best when only
      about 30% of capacity is used.
      My query is
      A partition within this HDD for your o/s ect. should it have
      say 70% excess size for max.operation

pdv
      "What exactly are you asking here"

My query is...
      thats what i was asking
      Thx for the answer Beefy ......btw

I got that "WOOMERA" if you remember the pm
      cheers
      pdv.........:thumb:

Comment

I usually set 2GB for a Win9x partition and 4-5GB for 2k and XP. That's usually with Office on the same partition and install anything else on another one or twoo partitions. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

pdv

Also make sure that ONLY the OS resides on your active partition. This is due to the fact that if you ever need to format or restore your OS then that way all your games and appz will remain but that is if they are residing on the partitions other than C.

I know quite a few people that have partitioned drives and yet they still install all their programs on their C partition aswell so when it comes to formating or restoring the OS then they run into the problems of having to loose all their programs.... :(

Comment

It all comes down to personal preference really. If you install program on one drive and games / multimedia stuff on another, when you come to format you can simply move all the programs you want to keep onto the other drive...

Comment

The only problem with having just your OS on the boot partition is that you still have to reinstall all the apps if you do a reformat and reload. Windows will have no clue as to what you have unless you reinstall your programs

Comment

Most times only the shortcuts have to be replaced but for others the setup must be run again but saved info and settings usually stay as they were. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

For the more mundane stuff, and some games (but not many), that's trus. However, most heavy apps require registry entries and dll calls that simply can't be made without a reinstall.

For all your office, prductivity, and content creation software, you gotta bite the bullet and get out the cd's. And. let's not forget the reinstall of the latest drivers.

In fact, I write all these to a special folder on my secondary partition as I download them, for exactly this purpose.

With Win98 I was doing a complete reload every 6 months or so, and I'm sure that as the "stuff" accumulates in my OS on my new box and it slowly starts to loose speed, I'll be doing it again in the future, even with XP.

Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X