Setting up raid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up raid

I'm getting my hands on a WD 40 gig HDD, and I'm interested in setting it up in a raid setup. How exactly would I go about doing this?

sorry to dissapoint you, but to use RAID you need at least 2 hard drives (which you plan to put into the array)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Two identical drives really, to be trouble free and perform smoothly. ;)

Comment

Well, if you look in my signature you'll notice that I am currently running an IBM 41 GIG drive 7200RPM. ANd like I said in the first post I'm getting my hands on a WD 40GIG 7200RPM. This means I will have 2 drives. Now that we have established this. How do I set up raid? One on master one on slave on the primary channel? Cause currently I have 2 cd-rom drives set up on secondary. Also being my drive is 41 gig and the WD drive is 40 gig would this matter? Or is this NOT identical. Thank You

Comment

I dunno if your Motherboard has it but you need a Raid controller. If you do then you should have 4 IDE Channels. For a Raid_0 setup, you will need to put one HD into one channel and the other HD into the other channel seprate from each other with two different IDE cables. No slave for a RAID_0. WiGGo meant identical when he said it. By Identical he means same size, model, brand everything; to make the setup run as smooth as possible. After you have that done you should be able to get into the RAID's manufacturers BIOS....prolly Ctrl+H on your startup screen. Create the array and select the BOOT drive. Restart and install windows because everything will be erased when you create the array.
          - Damien

Comment

This woudl be doing raid through the firmware I want to raid through software I know its a bit slower but I know its possible.

Comment

I can't help you on that one. I thought you had a Controller. Maybe someone else can give you a hand.
              - Damien

Comment

I just bought a Soyo SY-P4S Dragon Ultra and i would be able to setup RAID with it but whats the difference between regular setup and RAID? Is it that much faster that I should consider buying another hard drive to setup? The money for the hdd isnt a problem but would it run faster if I had 2 7400 rpm hard drives?

Comment

Raid performs at twice the speed usually. Because each drive would do half the work. A 20 second job would be done in about 10 seconds. Where do I get a raid controller card? Cause I don't plan on switching out my mobo anytime soon. Atleast not now because my board can still support everything that is currently out there.

Comment

Think of it this way...when you save a file into a RAID array half of a file will go to HD and the other Half to the second HD. So the seek time for that particular will be much less becuase both HD's are only looking for half a file not one WHOLE file; even though that is the result you get a whole file. You OS will recognize your array as one whole big HD. Two 40 = "one"80 .
                    - Damien

Comment

woh woh woh so let me get this straight. Windows will see an 80 gig HD? not two 40 gigs?

Comment

Correct...it unites the two..giving you a total. So a RAID is one big harddrive when in reality its two. You can do anything you want as if you were with a normal HDD. You can partition it as many times as you want. So yea you won't see 2 HD in windows you see one.
                        - Damien

Comment

wow thats sweet! I cant wait till i get my new hard dries to set that up. Ok one last question does this setup use regular ide cables or do u need a different type of cable?

Comment

that's ausome!!!!!!! now if I had it set up with two partitions and formatted the first one. would it wipe out the second one? like it was in fact a regular drive?

Comment

Simple answer.. A hardware-based RAID 0 will make the drives involved function exactly the same as one physical drive would.

And yes, it uses normal IDE cables. All that is different is where you connect it (to the RAID IDE ports, not the standard IDE ports)

Comment

Working...
                              X