Hard Drive Death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Death?

I leave my computer on practically 24/7.......is it possible for a drive to spin and spin and spin until it can't spin no more?

Yes, in the case of the HDD mentioned in your signature.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

lol no be seriously can this happen with any drive or just the drives that are hated by everyone such as mine.:no:

Comment

It can happen with any HDD in fact but Deathstars are more prevalent about it. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

im not sure what you mean there but if u mean get faster and faster and faster, then i would think not.

if you mean do they just cease up - then its possible, if the HDD took a power-dip, bump or constant rattling/vibration, then one of the read/write heads (2 heads on 40Gb) can crash into the drive platter usually ending in a nice clunking scraping sound and shortly after followed by silence from the drive or maybe a slight ticking sound...

the other, more infamous death the drive may suffer is the click of death that many people know so well. controller circuits crap out and the drive simply malfunctions, sometimes this too can contribute to a drive head crashing on the platter.

Comment

Ya I ment the drive ceasing......I mean let me admit I still have an old 500Meg Quantum drive somewhere in my bedroom.....last I checked it was working fine and installed windows 98 on it.....I haven't used it months but I'm sure that technology does get better and better............but if my drive were to simple stop spinning cause the motor wore out or something like that.......how long would it take? I built my computer 1 month shy of a year ago......and its been on 24/7 ever since........there has been a few days where it was off but other then its always on.

Comment

I've been usin' mine here (PC No.1) for 24/7 for about the last 4 years now with no probs but I spose that the amount of HDD accesses isn't that much really as its mainly just the internet and print server plus my own personal websurfer and occasional gaming but Seti always runs on it. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

hey wiggo, how hot are your hds? (probes built-in or seperate)?

Comment

No probes that I know of but they're barely warm. :smokin:

Comment

oh hmmm, then my 80gig @ 7200 must be going crazy or the temp probe is inside the the heat is trapped..

Comment

Cool the outside, and you will cool the inside.

Comment

haha, cool the inside of a seagate..lol, that thing is like a tank, no exits..have u ever seen a barracuda before?

Comment

You don't have to open it up... That would be a bad idea anyway. I think what Zeradul meant was that by cooling the outside (by convection) the temps on the inside will cool (by conduction).

BTW I have a Barracuda and its a happy little camper.:wave:
                          Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Yes, that was absolutely what I meant... any attempts to add circulation to the inside of a hard drive would result in killing the hard drive, 100% of the time. Unless you live in a vacuum where nothing is airborn.

Comment

hmm...hopefully it works that way

Comment

Working...
                              X