IBM HD and XP Pro Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM HD and XP Pro Problems

I`ve just installed a IBM Deskstar 41gig HD in a AT case with a PC Chips motherboard and Windows XP Pro.I`m having a shut down problem !? When a try to shut down it goes through the motions and shuts down the moniter but not the computer!Dont start laughing:]. To start off yeah its a generic mobo,PC Chips.LOL but my other concern is the IBM drive.Is that one of the drives that IBM had a problem with?I can install a seagate and a maxtor and dont have this problem.Some give me suggestions on a patch or driver update. thanks soon as you quit laughing.No this is not my PC its a friends.My PC doesn`t act stupid like this!!!!LOL

It's a good bet that it is one the notorious GXP Deathstars so make sure that you have plenty of cool fresh air blowin' around it or get a Seagate or Western Digital drive (some ppl are still havin' probs with Maxtors).
    The shutdown problem could be several probs rangin' from a bad setting in BIOS to needin' a BIOS update to some setting in XP itself that needs correcting (did ya run the compatability test 1st?). :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I have that same exact drive no problems here.......but then again I have a cheap HD cooler on it. Would it really make a difference? Two tiny fans that blow cool air on it......um back to the point I have no problems with shutting down I don't know why a drive would affect a computer shutting down.....If the monitor has the special power saving features then it would shut down.....but AT has a 12 Volt button not a 5 volt button........AT doesn't shut down automatically like ATX its your form factor not the drive.....

Comment

It should shut the monitor down just make it go blank then turn the power switch off (goes to show that I rarely shut this thing down :laugh: ). Also I only use SE on the two AT's here and they give ya a screen tellin' ya that it's safe to turn the power off.
        As for the IBM drives so long as they get some cool air on the circuitry underneath they last much longer. :smokin:

Comment

ya I read the thing where the drivers overheat or some **** with the click of death or whatever......I have two cheap fans cooling my drive does it really make a difference in terms of temps?

Comment

It does to the controller chips on the PCB and it's usually those that do the actual dying. :smokin:

Comment

welll I guess the heat is worth it for the actual performance increase that you get out of these suckers. How much though is the question

Comment

Working...
              X