40 mb couta's raided v 80mb wd jb 8mb
    in a shoot out which one will live
    I'm getting a new pc & am wandering which way to go
    as the cost is similar
    Raid will be on the mobo i finally select
    ALSO WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGES & DRAWBACK

PDV

:)

What are couta's?:?: Do you mean the Seagate Barracuda drives?

The WD 8MB cached 80GB drives would by my pick for a RAID config.

You have two options at least regardless of what IDE controller is on your mobo. RAID 0 and RAID 1.

RAID 0 is called striping. What this does is make the drives in the array appear as one honker drive under an OS. The largest size this drive can be is [number of drives]x[smallest sized drive in array]. The problem here is that if one drive craps out, you are in deep **** if you haven't backed up your stuff. This is not the thing you want to use for storing your data. Use it for the speed, not for the reliablity.
    RAID 1 is called mirroring. What this does is copy the same data to all the hard drives on the array. This is the slowest RAID array, but it is one of the most reliable. Max size is 1x [smallest drive in array].

Comment

The question i am asking
      if i had 2 seagate barracutta's 40 mb HHD's [or other comparable 40 mb HHD'S in raid] how would there prefofmance compare with a single WD JB 8mb cache

Yes it would be great to have WDJB'S in raid. i fonly one had the spare cash

pdv :)

Comment

What do you think you might need the extra speed for? A RAID configuration is more expensive, as well as a Pain in every aspect.

And it isn't so much faster that you really need to have one. Not too many apps are slowed by today's best 7200's. Only a few things, extensive video editing is one example.

So tell us this, what will the computer be for??

Comment

I just remembered: the Barracuda's suck in RAID performance. Seagate screwed up on the timing, and I think the performance is no better or even worse than just leaving them out of RAID. Here's where that 8MB Western Digital would be better.

Comment

I think he is wants to compare two Seagates or WD's 40 gig Vs. WD 8mb 80 gig. For performace go with raid..it'll blow one 8mb buffered drive but get those drives and use them with raid ...you got one sweet rig. Zeradul why is RAID "a pain in every aspect"?: peace2:
            - Damien

Comment

[B]For performace go with raid..it'll blow one 8mb buffered drive but get those drives and use them with raid ...you got one sweet rig.
              You might want to check out the performance numbers again for the Western Digital Special Edition 8MB buffer drives. Though there is a bit of a performance boost over a pair of matched high-speed drives in a RAID0 array, the gain is not really that significant.

[B]Zeradul why is RAID "a pain in every aspect"?
              I'll take a crack at this one as well...

- RAID can be a royal pain to set up initially. Besides the fact that you have to add drivers during the fresh install of the OS, Windows is not always pleased to accept the new array as a legitimate bootable device. And if you're a first-timer doing this, it can get frustrating to say the least.

- Though not a common occurrance, you can have corrupted data flowing to the RAID setup. Again, Windows can get confused when you send two simultaneous flows of data over the array. And if you're drivers are a bit dated, you're just looking for trouble.

- In the event of a hard drive failure, the data is almost always irrevocably lost. Since the data paths are split when they are put onto the drive, there is no drive integrity at all if the array crashes.

pdv,
              Unless you're heavily into video editing, just pick up one of those Western Digital Special Edition drives. They come in flavors of 80-120GB so should handle any amount of data you're gonna throw at it. The performance is better than any other single IDE drive on the market and will put a lot of SCSI drives in their place as well. :)
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

Wow, impressive lil things that those Drives can do....

I figured that would be the "hassle" with a RAID setup...its wasn't much of a hassle to install the drivers etc...but just having a corrupted array is enough for anyone to think twice about a RAID setup. Thanks for the knowlegde Darth.: peace2:

P.S. Darth you mentioned that you own a 21" Monitor...where did you find one...?...I mean was it a "Ma 'N' Pa" store or was a local best buy or anything of that matter?
                - Damien

Comment

He is going to tell you that he got it here: http://www.histore.com/ at a discount due to a cosmetic "scratch and dent" item, and he paid 650$.

As far as finding one? They are not very rare. Best Buy and other chain stores don't sell them, but loads of online places do.

Comment

True enough. I got a decent deal on a factory refurb from Hitachi. Works great and has for the two years that I've used it. Also true about BestBuy not carrying them. I don't think I've even seen a 19 incher there but once or twice. Normally they sell 17 inchers and flat panel. Too bad... KDS is one of their big sellers, and they aren't too shabby a monitor from the ones that I've used (we use them at work).

And if you wanna delve around inside my case, then try here.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

RIght that why i asked all i see there 19" inchers..but you never know...thanks peeps...
                      - Damien

Comment

Working...
                      X