No announcement yet.

Atari like sound made by a Hard Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari like sound made by a Hard Drive?

Over the past year and a half I have bought and installed 16 Western Digital Drives, and here is the first serious problem I have had. At start-up, the drive (WD400BB - 6 months old) literally makes a sound that sounds like a weapon in an old Atarti game. Like a lazer is being shot sound. No joke.

When it makes the noise, it doesn't start up and it also causes windows to not boot, despite the OS being on a different drive in the system. But once in a while the drive does start up and run flawlessly until shutdown.

This is in a friends computer, 300 miles away, so i have not worked on it yet, I have only heard the sound through the phone. It could be a simple problem - somthing he messed up, but since I have NEVER heard a sound like that from a drive, I figured I would post here to see if anyone has any ideas.

It is in a 1.4 T-Bird system, Epox 8KHA,
    WD600BB OS drive currently set to 'cable select', WD400BB set to cable select as well.
    Asus 8X DVD / Plextor 16X (master / slave on secondary chain)

Like I said I have not had the chance to work on it yet, so I can't provide any more crucial info. If we can't fix it, he will send me the drive, and if I determine it is shot I will RMA it.

Any thoughts?

errr.......
    I would defenatly say it's dying or dead, when it works get him to run a full defrag and see if that tells you anything.

Comment

That would kinda suck i have two of those drive :eek: I have no idea what it could be bro...The atari thing is kinda funny tho... Caught my attention...
      - Damien

Comment

To be sure get them to d/l the WD diagnostic software and run it but it does sound like it maybe about to kick the bucket. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Good thing you got Redwinger two drives Zeradul, looks like that little scheme paid off. 300 miles though? I don't know....... I thought it was more like 180.

Comment

Still sore Cord?

Comment

Working...
            X