wtH?! noise from a new hdd?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wtH?! noise from a new hdd?!

ok, so i got a replacement for that last drive that died...

even got an extra 10GB! they sent a 40 instead of the 30 i had

welll, ok... BUT

NOW, i get a WEIRD noise coming from the PC now, which i never heard before the new drive was put in

"knock (pause) zzzzinggggggggggGGGGGGG"

is this NORMAL for a NEW hard drive?!

**** NO!

what the HELL do they think they are doing?!?!?!

have i mentioned that i ****ing HATE MAXTOR yet?

:thumbs do

Was it an IBM drive by any chance?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Nah ct_ just likes playin' with rooted Maxtor HDD's. :hammer:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ct man it better learn from your mistakes ...it better not be another Maxtor d00d! : peace2:
        - Damien

Comment

That's got to be beyond aggravating
          I feel for you man:(
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Some ppl really should learn when to cut their losses and change brands.
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well, if they were willing to RMA the drive, I certainly would have given them the opportunity too.

But at this point, I'd drop 'em like the proverbial hot potato and never look back. I mean....I'd be P#$$ed!
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

no maxtor
                no ibm
                no wd

seagate 0wns

Comment

I think every drive manufacturer has bad batches. I remember back about 4-5 years, IDE segate drives were a dirty word. I remember the company I used to work for sold 50-60 workstations with seagate drives to a school, and ATLEAST two thirds of those drives had to be replaced, and even a very high percentage (50% +) of the replacement drives had to be replaced. We ended up changing suppliers because they refused to sell any other brand.

Comment

The way I see it is they do in fact have all there flaws. IBM seems to be the fastest performing drive cause of the more buffer space that it has. But it comes with a price the circuit board over heats causing the click of death sounds. I myself have an IBM Deskstar drive and I don't have anyproblems with it. Maxtor and Western Digital I think seem to be the same with quality and prices I'm not sure about seagate I never used them.

Comment

well, yeah it IS another maxtor :snip: drive....

i'd GLADLY drop them, but they won't refund my money, and i don't have enough to switch over all 5 drives that i have

and a 10

all but the 10 have been RMA'd at least twice
                      the 10 has yet to fail, but then i've only had it in use for a few months (i got it for free, so how much can i complain about it?) (yeah, i needed it, i know i shoulda said no ****n way, but hey...)

Comment

actually I've had pretty good luck with Maxtor drives - I've probably bought about 40 in the last 2 years...I've had to RMA 4 - but they were from RAID 0 setups w/o HD cooling - I learned my lesson on that one - but at least they were replaced promptly

My hardware dealer just recently started carrying WD drives too - so I'll likely be buying those in the future

Comment

Working...
                        X