any strange sound from ur wd hdd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any strange sound from ur wd hdd

i got a 80G 7200rpm wd hdd, when i was on my PC the wd hdd will have a clicking sound(only when startup) after that all is working fine........

do ur guys out there having a same problem also..?

I don't have that clicking sound just that light spin sound...yet i don't have a 80 only 40's but that is weird...just to ask is it the WDspecial edition drive? I don't think it should make that sound ...last time i heard that sound it was a broken HD in a laptop...sOoOo...it could be about to bust on you...but before making any assumtions see if any of the other guys have seen this happen...: peace2: Hopefully its nothing...
    - Damien

Comment

Don't know, but for safeties sake, get your goodies all backed up. If you have any warranty period left, contact WD and see what they have to say about it.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

WD also has a good diagnostic software on their site that will test the drive and give a report on any probs. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I haven't looked lately, do they have one for XP systems now? Previously the DataLifeguard ran under DOS.

Just thinking out loud, in case he has XP
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

The "click of death" as I like to call it is often a sign of impending drive failure. I have seen drives do it once and live happily ever after, but I wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
              Mr. C[/size]]
              I haven't looked lately, do they have one for XP systems now? Previously the DataLifeguard ran under DOS.

Just thinking out loud, in case he has XP
              Last time I ran it was off a bootable floppy. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by fragman
                The "click of death" as I like to call it is often a sign of impending drive failure. I have seen drives do it once and live happily ever after, but I wouldn't count on it.
                Yes - Thankyou IBM!
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak

Yes - Thankyou IBM!
                  Yep the one I've seen keep going is my 40gig 60GXP. it does it about once a month off a cold boot.

Comment

My 60gb 60GXP died a few months ago along with 3 years of backups.
                    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

My girl friend maxtor (her's not mine) was doing it for a week last week and then stopped, apparentlly it's done it before as well.
                      I told her to start saving her money, because all the other drives i have seen do that were either dead or dying

Comment

back up fast before you lose everything, i lost my 30 gig wd hd due to clicking =\

Comment

Working...
                        X