Round Cables used in RAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Cables used in RAID

May round ide cables be used in a ATA100 Raid_0 setup?...I want to increase my airflow capabilities but don't want to sacrifice Raid performance if thats the case...: peace2: THX
    - Damien

there's no performance change of any kind as far as data flow is concerned

airflow is better, to a point - better than flat ribbons? not that i have noticed.... is it worth the cost? not to me

Comment

definitely in a cluttered case that uses a raid ide setup, use rounded cables, it is beyond a nightmare to manage ribbon cable in a pc especially if you have more than 2 of the *******s

in my system i only ever use rounded cables, otherwise airflow around the drives can be bogged down.

and we all know that no matter what HDD it is you have, you wanna keep it cool, i found that ribbon cable depending on how it is folded/routed wotever, will tend to trap air (or atleast hamper airflow) around certain parts of a drive or drives.

Comment

Yes that's i'm thinking i have to put the cables aside and still have a mess i use tiewraps and it helps but it still looks messy and cluttered...i have HDD sinks with fans on each HD but still the cables go across two case fans which restricts airflow for sure...so you know it doesn't resrtict performance?...and what brand do you recommend or is generic stuff just as good?: peace2: THX Guys
        - Damien

Comment

Just make sure that you don't get the ones made over the 18" safe IDE cable length limit. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

You use round ones yourself WiG...and 18' is cool but 24' is way too long huh?
            : peace2:
            - Damien

Comment

If an 18" cable will reach, and in most cases it will, go with it.
              Any excess cable just adds to the clutter problem.

As to what type of cable, it doesn't matter -- homemade or storebought, if it is rounded properly (ie. no damage to the conductors or insulation) performance will be exactly the same.

I vote for do-it-yourself, it saves a few $'s and if your on dial-up like me, you can kill a bit of time during a long DL by seperating the conductors and binding up the cable:thumb:
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

:laugh: LOL Mr.C on the dial up comment good way to make time....hehe...and thx for the info dude it seems to me that i will have to buy them maybe from newegg.com ( no time with work, music and gym) ...i was just wondering if anyone would recommend a brand if the simple generic on is fine...THX again d00d....: peace2:
                - Damien

Comment

I round my own cables where necessary (ya don't need to when they are routed behind mobos or flat against the inside of the case) though IDE cable's signal degenerates after 18" which is why the standard was set at that length. :smokin:

Comment

How about a brand Vantec, Cooler Guys...etc...anyone have a preference?...and specific reason for that preference...i am gonna order them tomorrow and was thinking of going with Galaxy Technologies they are 7.50 (US) bucks and another question i had for you guys (if you don't mind) is this :ROUND, 18-Inch, True ATA133, IDE, Color: BLACK Cable for IDE Hard Drives, CD ROM, DVD ROM or CDRW, 3-Connector, 33/66/100/133, 18 Inches Long. With Clear Boot. TRUE ATA133?...will that be compatible with my ATA100 WD HDD's (even though it mentions 33/66/100/133) ...i want to make sure thats why i'm asking...THX peace2:
                    - Damien

Comment

ATA133 cables - backwards compatible with ATA100/66/33/DMA etc. As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't there no physical difference between a ATA66/100/133 cable, they're all 80 condcutor jobbies?

Comment

So i'm guessing brand is not a big deal then....: peace2:
                        - Damien

Comment

IDE cables really only come in two flavours and that's 40wire (ATA33 and below) and 80wire (ATA66 and above) cables. :smokin:

Comment

Thanks again...:)
                            - Damien

Comment

Working...
                            X