Are big harddrives bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are big harddrives bad?

I am building my first computer and I am getting an 80GB hd. Is this to big? What are the disadvantages of getting such a big hd?

the main disadvantage that i can think of is:
    if the drive gets corupted somehow or generally stuffs up you would lose all the stuff on the drive :\
    /me thinks back to when my 60 gig 60gxp started making clicks *shudder*
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

More space more crap to forget about :rolleyes:
      - Damien

Comment

I disagree, sort of. I think your main hard drive should not be a large one. Installing windows, or whatever OS you're going to use on a small, fast drive is a good idea. If that hard drive goes you only have to reinstall the OS and the progs, all of which you should have CDs for or could redownload.

Large hard drives are good for those who need a lot of space for media. If you plan on dealing with lots of music and movies and so forth. An 80 Gig is a good idea, do be weary of crashes, but don't let that hold you back from having a .1 terabyte system.

Comment

couldnt i solve the crashing by partitioning?

Comment

If it helps you out any, I use a Seagate Barracuda drive and it's a 40GB model. I run a 10GB partition for the OS and my main programs (Office, IE, add-ons) and then use the remainder as a different partition to store my games, my downloaded stuff, backup data and stuff like this. I also install my playtime programs to the secondary partition so that the primary doesn't get overcrowded. While WinXP is a huge leap from previous operating systems, it is still a hog so I make sure to leave at least 3-4GB for it to play with swap files and such.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

thanks, this helped me out. can a whole harddrive crash even if you have partitions. what are some instances when the whole HDD goes out and you loose everything

Comment

Well I use one partition just for the os and office and other partitions for programs, games and music. Over the last few years when the os get corrupted I just format C: and reinstall then just reassociate the programs and folders from the other partitons where necessary. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                X