No announcement yet.

lost another one~ (note, strong language used)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost another one~ (note, strong language used)

read about it here: www.harddrivehell.com

tried the freezer trick, no go

i ****ing HATE maxtor

and, their customer service techs suck disk and are rude as well

they wouldn't answer ANY technical questions i had for them

as soon as i get the $$ i'm gonna switch all my drives to those farking glass-platter IBM drives! i bet they'll hold up better than this ****!

and i'll dump these damn drives on ebay! some sucker will be glad to get them

MAXTOR
    :shoot3: MAXTOR
    MAXTOR :shoot2:
    MAXTOR = :snip:

:laugh: :laugh: But hey... they support ATA133! :laugh: :laugh:

I'll stick with the Seagate I'm using now. I'd be wary of IBM unless you do a LOT of research. I've already lost one IBM drive, and I don't plan on using them until I'm fully satisfied that their drives aren't going to die on me... AGAIN!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
      read about it here: www.harddrivehell.com

tried the freezer trick, no go

i ****ing HATE maxtor

and, their customer service techs suck disk and are rude as well

they wouldn't answer ANY technical questions i had for them

as soon as i get the $$ i'm gonna switch all my drives to those farking glass-platter IBM drives! i bet they'll hold up better than this ****!

and i'll dump these damn drives on ebay! some sucker will be glad to get them

MAXTOR
      :shoot3: MAXTOR
      MAXTOR :shoot2:
      MAXTOR = :snip:
      Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital are the elite three hard-drive makers. They make the best drives on the market.

Comment

I'd probably have to remove Maxtor from your listing. Though they have improved over the past three years, they still don't make hard drives that effectively compete with the others in it's class. Hopefully they continue to improve, but I don't think that they're there yet.
        My Toys

Comment

Ya hate Maxtors but ya want to get another suspect brand?
          Go for either Seagate or WD as these are much more reliable and their RMA's are also much better if ya ever do come across a bad one which out of the many of both that I've use I've only had 1 dud of each. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I agree with Wiggo, why are you gonna trash Maxtor then go to a 50/50 HDD like IBM...Go with Western Digital and get your self the 8 MB beauty. I've never used Seagate but never seen or heard any complaints about them. I have seen complaints about Maxtor and heard horror stories on IBM:laugh:. But nothing about WD... I have a Maxtor in my 933 P3 and to be honest with you have had no problems with it YET ;but, i had no choice it came with my HP. If i did, it would have been a WD... SoOoOoO you guessed it i'm a WD man. Buy them you won't regret it...and i've seen the Caviar's a bit cheaper than Maxtor's ATA133 Drives too.
            - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by Flaco
              I agree with Wiggo, why are you gonna trash Maxtor then go to a 50/50 HDD like IBM...Go with Western Digital and get your self the 8 MB beauty. I've never used Seagate but never seen or heard any complaints about them. I have seen complaints about Maxtor and heard horror stories on IBM:laugh:. But nothing about WD... I have a Maxtor in my 933 P3 and to be honest with you have had no problems with it YET ;but, i had no choice it came with my HP. If i did, it would have been a WD... SoOoOoO you guessed it i'm a WD man. Buy them you won't regret it...and i've seen the Caviar's a bit cheaper than Maxtor's ATA133 Drives too.
              I agree with you on the "8mb beauty" but IBM has a slightly higher success rate there dude... Its more of a 95/5 rate... Its more likely that its been blown way out of preportion but Western Digital and Seagate along with Maxtor are the absolute best there is available. I myself use Western Digital WD1200's like the one's Flaco so elegantly described. I love their ATA100 capability and they are a dream come true in a RAID configuration.

Back to the original post, what do you have against Maxtor, it seems to me that this is an isolated event and is not a reason at all to abandon one of the best hard drive makers in the world.

Comment

Though it seems your comment was directed at another, I'll go ahead and add my two cents worth since I too recommended that folks stay away from Maxtor...

I've used a number of Maxtor drives over the past few years, and they have been plagued with mediocre performance. Add to this the bad sectors that normally crop up using this brand of drive and you can see why I suggest an alternative.

Like I indicated above, they have made improvements over the past three years or so, but they're just not at a level that can make them competitive with other drive makers.

Oh... and IBM sucks. Any questions about that and you can try to retrieve the data off my dead 60GXP drive. It's not that bad a thing to have a glitch in your product line, but they have ignored world-wide pleas for support with these models, and the 75GXPs were even worse. Hopefully the new 120GXP drives will take care of the problems plaguing this model, but I'll stay away from a company that sells a dodgey drive and then has the balls to say that there isn't a problem. That's bad business in my book. :(
                My Toys

Comment

Just for the record, I've got two Maxtor drives in my PC at home, and I haven't had a HDD related problem yet.. :)

Comment

I wish that I could say the same thing. :(
                    My Toys

Comment

I've seen more Maxtors and Western Digitals here at home, and I have to say the WD's are the more reliable. I have had only one WD go, and it was a 4.3 5400RPM ATA66 drive I'd purchased used. I've had to RMA about 3 or 4 Maxtors so far, but I keep my data backed up, so it's not a big deal.

Comment

I got a glass platter IBM 60GXP 40gig model. Not a problem so far. Purchased in October 2001, which apparantly was a "Good month" for production.

Maxtor have ****ty drives out at the moment. Might have something to do with them & Quantum merging..... Quantum were the IBM of the 90's.

Western Digital 100gigs are the fastest out there. Seagate support can be a bit dodgey in Australia. Ive had two drives (8gig and a 4gig) sent off still under warranty only to be refused because the drives were re-sold under another company. (in my case- Compaq Australia)
                        Compaq offer 1year warranty, Segate offer 3 and will not honor it, despite them manufacturing the drive.

Im looking at my 8gig now. Is keeping my door nice and still. Nice kick marks on it too.
                        :(
                        Platters of the 4gig are hanging from a wall entertaining my 2yo cousin.
                        :(

Various other incidents with segate involve general BS like packaging. I sent the drive safe and secure in their 'Shell' cases and they send it back in foam & a flimsy box.
                        But good drives, just watch their support. Or lack of it.

Comment

Originally posted by outvit

Back to the original post, what do you have against Maxtor, it seems to me that this is an isolated event and is not a reason at all to abandon one of the best hard drive makers in the world.
                          yer joking right?

get real, maxtor sucks ASS and will never be considered "good"

i suggest you go to www.harddrivehell.com and read up, click the links to the old news and keeps going

this is FAR FAR from an isolated event

i have had a 0/100 rate with maxtor drives

why do i still have them?

cuz they won't refund my $$, only RMA them

for those who seriously thought i was gonna use a glass plater drive, HA! we both know better than that...

Comment

Originally posted by ct_

yer joking right?

get real, maxtor sucks ASS and will never be considered "good"

i suggest you go to www.harddrivehell.com and read up, click the links to the old news and keeps going

this is FAR FAR from an isolated event

i have had a 0/100 rate with maxtor drives

why do i still have them?

cuz they won't refund my $$, only RMA them

for those who seriously thought i was gonna use a glass plater drive, HA! we both know better than that...
                            I have NEVER had a problem with Maxtor drives.

Comment

I'm real happy that you haven't had any problems with Maxtor drives, but their reliability is rather well documented as an issue to be concerned with when making a purchase.

BZ,
                              I'll agree that the older Seagate drives were far from worthy, but the ones that have been maketed during the past year or two have improved quite a bit. I'm just getting back into a Seagate drive so haven't had the necessity to RMA one, so I can't speak for their support. But I CAN speak for their performance. They rank rather high up the food chain in this area, and I haven't had any problems at all using a Barracuda drive with multiple partitions and both FAT32 and NTFS file systems installed.
                              My Toys

Comment

Working...
                              X