Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lost another one~ (note, strong language used)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the (literally) hundreds of drives I have diagnosed faulty for clients, every brand under the sun has appeared in the list except Western Digital. They did have a bad run in 1999 due to a faulty chip being supplied by a contractor, but almost all the faulty drives were successfully recalled. My 2GB Caviar AC22000L 5200RPM drive has fallen off the end of my desk twice, onto the timber floor - not a single bad sector to this day. Has been serving me almost continuously since I built my first system in December 1997 :)

Here is a list of the brands I have found faulty (in order of percentage - most reliable first). So therefore my recommended purchasing order :D

1) Western Digital
    2) Quantum
    3) Seagate
    4) IBM
    5) Maxtor
    6) Fujitsu
    7) JTS (every one dead)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Its funny you should mention that Darth, I had a customer from the 'states bring his machine in for an upgrade (new PSU/modem etc cause of differences between the countries) and his seagate drive was same model as my 8gig, yet the outside was totally different. Mine has the rubber outside layer thing, wheras his was a silver shell one, like the old school medalist 2gig drives. Identical model numbers, even manufactued same year.

These newer seagates arent really that good ive found (performance wise) and im still having the occasional *****-fight with them & RMA cases. Western Digital get my thumbs up. Their caviar drives I never did like, but these new ones go off. So does their support.

Not quite as fast as my deskstar, but im starting to keep an eagle-eye on it, first sign of failure, and its backup & get me a nice 100+gig western digital.
      in a weird kinda way- i want this deskstar to fail, need an excuse for a 100gig hdd. :)

Comment

I am just curious about the amount of drives these companies sell worldwide. If we are going to decide which harddisk is the best we should consiser these numbers.

If Maxtor, for example, sells twice as much drives as Western Digital. It is very logical, they have twice the amount of problems.

Albinus has worked with all brands so his opinion is valued.

I also have Maxtor drives, and haven't had any problems (yet)
        :rolleyes2

Comment

:D I can't say about the WD's, I've had little experence.......although, my buddies at "The Network Giant Co." have been beating feet from IBM, since the heat problem cropped up, and their now are indorsing WD. I've had the best luck with Q Bigfoots. Old, but Damned reliable. Of all the ones I've picked up since '97, I've only had one get tweaky...... Lately I've been picky up Maxtors again.

I've found that two things are critical, in my opion, 1) keep'm cool and 2) turn the damn rigs off when not in use. I know more people that buy into the ..."Keep them Running theory".... than can't figure out why the drives fail after a couple of months.

I would be very interested in seeing some reliblity #'s, if anyone cone across any....

:thumb: well these my two$ worth..............

Comment

Thats actually quite funny, not many people liking the ibm's. Im running 4 - 40GB ibm hdd (in raid 5) , and havent had a hardware related issue yet

Comment

I would say then that ya have a good source of cool fresh air blowing over them then otherwise ya'd know the misery that others have had with them. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i own a small custom shop here in the states and won't use any drive other than wd now, i gave maxtor a shot but right at this present time i have 98% failure rate on them so nothing good will ever be said about them

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  I would say then that ya have a good source of cool fresh air blowing over them then otherwise ya'd know the misery that others have had with them. :smokin:

i thought every sensible person runs at least 1 fan for hdd

silly me

Comment

I don't.. :)

Comment

yeh thats what i thought, i said every sensible person

Comment

Seriously though, my HDD's are fine without it...

Comment

Very sensible when running IBM's anyway, but WD's and Seagates don't seem to mind plus ya got to remember that a lot of ppl out there use generic cases that don't allow the HDD's to be mounted where fresh air will cool them. :smokin:

Comment

Here's my two cents:

I've never used Quantum drives since all the 6.4Gb CX drives started falling of the perch. Maxtor merged with Quantum, they now produce Quantum drives badged as Maxtor. Maxtor also always had speed issues with alot of their drives being released in "quiet mode"

Since then I've been using Seagate. Only a few RMA's out of 100's, mainly on their U6 5400rpm drives.

Seagate or WD are the way to go.

Comment

Most of the cases we are running here are gen's. I have been very careful to keep the drives as free and as far from the other heat producers as possible. Lately, I've been dropping the drives to the bottom of the case, since I found the Evercase hard drive toolless mounting brackets. Their nice and just the right highth to put two drives in raid behind the front case fan. And at $5 usd, each, one great solution.

My, personel rig is in a Maxtop case. Lovely little case, part alum and with 7 high preformance fans.....cool air is in good supply. The T's are good, and for the hardcores, The full load T's were done with a 12 hour "Burnin Loop," with Mb 5 tracking, and probe spot checks.

I have maybe hundred hard drives between the wk & hm. To date I have only one drive that's getting tweaky, a 6 Gig Q bigfoot. I can't complain, It's old.. tired..and greatly mistreated, but after 6years....hey. It's still running....

Keep'm cool and shut them off when they are not in use

Comment

Originally posted by Dlab

My, personel rig is in a Maxtop case. Lovely little case, part alum and with 7 high performance fans.....cool air is in good supply.

Keep'm cool and shut them off when they are not in use
                                Why would anyone have HDD installed, and not use 'em?

What do you mean by shut them off. Do you mean the power save menu in window?
                                Or do you mean, turn your system off when your done.

And finally,
                                Does your case fly since it's made of aluminium and has 7 fans? wings:

Comment

Working...
                                X