ata133 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ata133 question

I have purchased the asus a7v333 and a maxtor 40gig ata133 HDD. I am under the impression that this MB supports ata133 but i'm a little confused because the only time it mentions it is with the Raid option which I did not get. Does the MB support ata133 even if I don't have the raid option?

It appears the ATA133 is only available with the RAID option.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I did some more checking and it appears that the Via Southbridge chip supports it, raid or no. What do you guys think? I'm still a little confused.

Comment

What I saw on the Asus site definitely leads me to believe that ATA 133 is only available with the RAID option on that board.
        Not a terrible blow though, as ATA 133 is of slim advantage on an IDE drive.
        Might see if you can exchange that ATA 133 HDD for one of those WD limited edition drives, they have a real nice data flow for an ATA 100 HDD. That extra 6Mb's of cache really rocks.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

They have SCSI like performance but right now are only avalible in 80,100, and 120 GIG forms. I almost got 2 80gig S.E. WD's but then reality and the wallet kicked in...and i stuck with two 40 gig for my RAID. :D
          - Damien

Comment

Thanks for the good advice!

Comment

The southbridge of the KT333 chipset supports ATA133. :smokin:

Comment

So, I should be able to run the HDD at 133 just using the regular IDE ports? From what I can tell the Northbridge doesn't support it, is that normal, if not will there be any drawbacks because of that?

Comment

The IDE controller is in the southbridge not the north and yes you can run it on the normal ones though ya probably wouldn't notice any difference over an ATA100 drive. :smokin:
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

Wiggo speaks much clearer than Asus, perhaps that's because they are pushing the RAID package:?:

Comment

Yeah probably the extra money they make from the RAID package. :(
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                        X