ATA133 Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATA133 Newbie Question

Hi all. I'm buying a new MB and have a simple question. I would like to buy a board that supports ATA133. The new VIA KT333 boards all say that they support ATA133, but my question is this: do I need a board that has an onboard controller (e.g. HPT 374) to utilize the ATA133 capability of the HDD? Or do the new chipsets not need the onboard controller to transfer at ATA133? I am currently not planning to use a RAID setup (planning to buy only one HDD at the moment), but would be open to suggestions if anyone has them...I was planning on buying a single Maxtor 80GB HDD with the ABIT KX7-333 (http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs...L_NAME=KX7-333) which has no HPT controller onboard. The AT7 MAX (http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs...MODEL_NAME=AT7) has the HPT374 onboard.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Support is via the chipset's southbridge though the added Highpoint or Promise controllers just add more drive support so no you do not need the extra controller onboard. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, the only advantage to having the onboard controller is that it provides extra spots to plug in ATA133 IDE devices (i.e. 2 extra ports = 4 extra devices). And that plugging my HDD into a regular IDE port will allow me to transfer at ATA133. Correct? The reason this confuses me is that my current board (BX chipset) needed the HPT controller to utilize ATA66, so I apologize if this seems like a redundant question.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
        PCH[/size]]
        Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, the only advantage to having the onboard controller is that it provides extra spots to plug in ATA133 IDE devices (i.e. 2 extra ports = 4 extra devices). And that plugging my HDD into a regular IDE port will allow me to transfer at ATA133. Correct?

Thanks again.
        Correct and no probs. ;)

Comment

Working...
        X