• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, I know exactly what he meant.

Just like my car analogy.

But what is the point?

More expensive (2 drives over 1)
    Less flexibility (can't use the drives for any other purpose without loosing data on both)
    Need a raid card/mobo (more $$)

------

My point is, a newbie is asking if there is an advantage to one over the other, no need to confuse him.

Comment

I have 4 IBM 75GXP series drives at 40GBytes each. They are running on RAID machines, 24 * 7 for approximately one year. To-date they have shown no sign of data corruption or failure. They are periodically scanned for surface defects / bad blocks and I have predictive algorithms running which warn me of potential failure during normal use.

I think the reliability is due mostly to excellent cooling. Because I live in Arizona and the computers live in an ambient temperature around 85degrees, I went to town on keeping plenty of forced air cooling around the drives (4 fans). I did notice when I first bought these drives they ran too hot for comfort. Hence the cooling paranoia.

These are very quick drives but I absolutely endorse the concept that forced air cooling on both sides of the drives is a healthy idea. Fortunately some very cheap cases now build-in space for HDD cooling and I consider them a 'must'.

Comment

Yeah, i've also heard that the IBM deskstars (aka deathstars), will not die/corrupt etc. if they are provided with good cooling, it's as simple as that, but for some people, the risks, even when reduced, still aren't worth it for the extra performance...

Comment

My college has returned approximately a third of all the Deskstar drives they have purchased over the past year - very high failure rate IMHO :eek:

Even though students in hardware classes aren't known for their gentle treatment of equipment, the Western Digital drives are managing below 5% failure rate... very good in the environment they're in :thumb:
          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

are you comparing apples to apples albi?

i know that IBM drives are very good performers, cooling is a must, and since i recently got a hold of a new Maxtor drive, i have to say that i feel its the same story again, these drives run hotwhen i turn my coolers off...so i wont be carting them round much :) (FYI thats what killed my last IBM drive :( )

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT
              are you comparing apples to apples albi?

Sure am :)

Both models are 7200RPM, with 2MB cache, and have a single 20GB platter. Can't get more apples to apples than that :)

At least TAFE's supplier has been returning the IBM drives without a grumble... that's the main thing, and we're even starting to get 120GXP drives in return for the defective 60GXP ones :)
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

what ever happen to Western Digital...you guys are anti WD...?
                - Damien

Comment

we aren't anti-WD at all.. it's just that this is a thread about IBM HDDs... not WD HDDs... :)

Comment

True...Sorry:(
                    - Damien

Comment

Right.

WD did well in the vote...

Comment

In case you don't get the hint...avoid IBM like the plague!!!!

Never seen or had a WD go bad. Had to RMA a few Maxtors, but with their no-BS process, I'll stick with them as well.

Comment

its prolly too late but they have a WD 30GB Hard drive for 75 bucks at shentech.com and 20 GB WD for 69 both running at 7200 RPM's. Just thought i'd share that.:?:
                          - Damien

Comment

Working...
                          X