Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID without FDD

Maybe it's a stupid question, but here goes nothing:
    Can I (or anyone else) set up RAID arrays without FDD and F6 key when installing Windows? Can it be done with a CD or DVD. I'm building a new PC and I dont want legacy cables in it. That includes all PATA cables, unsheated power cables or anything that may impede airflow. Oh yeah, the board will 85% ceritainly be based on p965 chipset, but I don't think that matters. Please help.
    Thanx in advance.

Re: RAID without FDD

You will need to create a slipstreamed copy of the XP install disk and put the proper raid drivers on it as well. I am not quite sure how to do it, but it isn't too hard if you are good at making ISO's and such. Otherwise, just use a floppy drive with the cable without installing it in the case. Just leave it off to the side while installing, then get rid of it once windows is installed.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Yeah, that's the only way around it.

MS fixed this up in Vista, you can select the IDE driver from any device, even a USB pen drive.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I guess that I will have to go Vista in that case. nah, it is going to be a new machine, so I guess that XP will have to go ('bout time!!!)
        Thanx guys

Comment

You'd be better off making your own slipstreamed XP CD than migrating to Vista.

Comment

yeah its easy to do - do it all the time, I built my own dvd that installs winxp (all drivers, service pack2), Office2003, nero etc.

http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
              You'd be better off making your own slipstreamed XP CD than migrating to Vista.
              Maybe, but I have a reputation for being first in my area to try new things. XP is, what, 5 or 6 years old now? That's just too old now, time for a renovation! I am considering to buy a separate HDD and go Fedora or Mandriva as well as Windows.

Comment

Working...
              X