No announcement yet.

When setting up raid 1 do can you use sata drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When setting up raid 1 do can you use sata drives?

When setting up raid 1 do can you use sata drives?
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Re: When setting up raid 1 do can you use sata drives?

Yes
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
      Yes
      no wasted effort here darth
      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Is the raid 1 actually good for home use. It will have farm data that is important. Would it be just as good to have two hard drives and do regular backups to it and once in awhile to backup to dvd.
        Windows 7 Professional
        ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
        Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
        High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
        SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
        1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
        1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

personally, i couldnt be bothered with the hassle of setting up a raid 1 and i would just back up a single disk regularly. must be some bigass farm you got for a raid setup to be even thought about mate :)

Comment

If you are only after redundancy, then get yourself an external drive and back up your vital data regularly. While RAID1 does offer the backup capability you are aiming for, if the array dies then you can sometimes have a difficult time getting your data back. An external drive allows you to do normal backups on a regular basis and then lets you store the important data seperate from the computer for true redundancy. And yes, backing up to DVD is still a good idea.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Read this: http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm

i would suggest raid 0 for better performance and just do regular backups instead of going with raid 1 and losing 50% of my disk space...

Comment

Everything I have read about raid 0 says it is the most volitale of all. The little performance gain is not worth the risk as all the experts have told me.
                After doing a lot more reading on the subject I have come to the conclusion that raid 1 is not all that safe and there are still issues that can cause you to lose your info. The safest to me is to have two hard drives and a seperate backup partition and also back up to dvd. What is the best backup software out there?
                Windows 7 Professional
                1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
                1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

the best - probably veritas - hope you've got lots of $$$$

however I'd just use the backup available in windows and set it to regular backups to the other HD

Comment

Originally posted by VzjrZ View Post
                    Read this: http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm

i would suggest raid 0 for better performance and just do regular backups instead of going with raid 1 and losing 50% of my disk space...
                    Or, you could go with RAID 1 and cut the chance of failure in half, rather than doubling it. The performance difference is almost unnoticeable. Hard drive failure is inevitable, and very noticeable.
                    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 12-15-2006, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Re: When setting up raid 1 can you use sata drives?

I have decided now to raid. I am going for it as a new adventure. I do want to ask this question though. I went through the step of starting the raid in bios and then went through the setup where it finally said healthy raid. I am doing a mirror raid. Anyway I have done the stuff needed like os cd and pushing f6 to install raid drivers like needed. It is now installing the os. My question is do I need to initialize the discs after this is all done. This is a brand new machine with a brand new install.
                      Last edited by ingeborgdot; 11-21-2010, 07:23 AM.
                      Windows 7 Professional
                      1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
                      1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

nope you'll have already done that as part of the install

Comment

If I ever decide to take off the raid array can it be done? Can I just shut off raid and use one of the hard drives as another hard drive? Also, if I decide to keep the raid can I partition it after the fact because I have done a raid without a partition?
                          Windows 7 Professional
                          1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
                          1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

you can use partion magic , etc to resize your partition.

if you break the raid and its simply mirrored it will continue to function since thats what its designed to do but it will always be operating in "fault" mode, ie one the disc is missing from the array. (note if its stripped, then you've lost all your data)

generally thou, once you've created a raid array, your stuck with it untill you decide to blow it away and start again. That was why the recommendation was made to setup windows on a 3rd hd, its a lot easier to change settings on a drive if its data only (ie can copy all the data somewhere, then blow the raid away and create and new unraided partition and then copy the data back, & change the drive letter to the same as the old one, reboot and your back in business)

another method of transfering your system from raid to non-raid would be to use ghost and image your raided partition to another HD - not easy to do since you need to create a boot disk that loads the raid drivers so you can see it using ghost.

so the short answer is yes but its not easy and generally will require another HD

Comment

If I raid 1 and want a partition, will the 2nd partition without the os still be mirrored? Will all of the hard drive be mirrored?
                              Windows 7 Professional
                              1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
                              1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

Working...
                              X