Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMA or PIO?

Hello, I am new at this forum.

I want to switch my HD from PIO (default) to DMA, because it is faster.
    I have W98 SE and if I try to switch it to DMA using the DMA-checkbox in the HD-properties, I get a message that I can damage the HD and they suggest to ask the HD-manufacture if it is save to do.

My problem is I don't know the manufacture of my HD.
    My computer is sealed to protect my garantee, so I can't find out by opening my PC.
    Is there a software-way to find out if my HD can use DMA?

You could try downloading Belarc Advisor from ZDNet or CNET downloads. That should tell you what HDD you have, and you can research the capabilities at the manufacturer's website.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
      You could try downloading Belarc Advisor from ZDNet or CNET downloads. That should tell you what HDD you have, and you can research the capabilities at the manufacturer's website.
      Originally posted by Mr. C
      Thanks, I just downloaded it and after running it, this was the result:

20.45 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
      17.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

E-IDE CD-ROM 40X/AKU
      Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (20.45 GB) -- drive 0

So he only gives the name of the driver, not that of the drive :(

Any other options? :)

Comment

AAARGH!

That's disappointing.

perhaps a benchmarking such as SANDRA (not sure what the latest version is? 2002?) would provide you with a more detailed report.

Does the manufacturer of your PC list the system specs on their website? That may be a valid option?
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Nope..:(
          Sandra found out that I do not have DMA, but I know that :)
          It tels me how to enable it, if my drive has that option, so nothing new and no name of my drive.
          But it gives the internal ID-number and the serial number; does that help?

Comment

If you have a 20GB hard drive, then chances are that it will indeed support DMA transfers - the only ones I have found that don't like having DMA enabled are some older ones under 2GB in size.

So try it - I doubt you'll wreck anything :?:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

That thought crossed my mind AL, but not knowing any details of the system whatsoever, I was hesitant to say such a thing in case it should turn out to be some kind of proprietary POS.

You just never know sometimes what a manufacturer may try to get away with in the name of the Almighty Dollar?

Comment

The reason I am so hesitant is because the hard drive in this system is one I got some problems with in the past.
                What happened was this: I was running W2000 pro and the HD was DMA enabled. Two weeks after I enabled it, it crashed in a strange way. Suddenly I was not able to read or write from the HD. Tried to format it, but it even coundn't found the correct cylinders (I tried autodetect in bios, etc.) ofcourse repartition didn't wordk either.
                I brought my PC to the man from who I bought the system (he also putted al elements like sound cards graphic cards, etc in the case) and he was able with a special deep-format utility to get the hard disk working again, but of course I lost all data.
                Until today I still don't know what that huge crash caused but maybe it was the DMA-setting. That's why I try to find out if my HD is able to run with DMA.
                And no, that man I told about can't remember what brand HD it was :(
                I live in another city now, without car, so bringing it to him is a problem, and as I told, I cant get guarantee anymore if I break the seal....

Comment

Didn't you got a similar crash? I like to know the reason and if that crash has to do with using the DMA settings.....?
                  Please will you help me out?

Comment

That warning is a standard windows thing but you should be able to run it though with no problems.
                    Also is this a brand name pc or has it just been assembled by a local store? :smokin:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                      That warning is a standard windows thing but you should be able to run it though with no problems.
                      Also is this a brand name pc or has it just been assembled by a local store? :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>
                      It is assembled at a local store. :hammer: :)

Comment

if u have BIOS access, it should list some sort of drive ID in the bios be it a stupid collection of numbers, or an actual textual model name, if you were to find that out, i could probably help you, but chances are, that if its 20Gb, like they said, it'll support DMA, DMA in its basic form is nothing, also it is worth checking that DMA is enabled in BIOS as well as the latest version of your IDE drivers are installed for the sake of your drive.

if the drive happens to be an IBM or the likes (which i doubt in a PC they stop u from tinkering with) then possibly the drive died, or is dying was too hot or pplain old data corruption... regardless, if DMA does turn out to kill the drive, chaces are its either faulty, dying or not what you paid for...

Comment

As you are share the opinion that a 20Gb HD probably would support DMA, I took the risk and enabled it.
                          It works (sofar :D ) because I performed the sandra benchmark for drives and it is much faster now :)

Hopefully it keeps doing wel :D

Thanks all of you helping me out; if I have another problem I know where I have to be for help :cheers:

Comment

If you want the brand of HD in your computer, use the System Information utility. It lists the brand of components.

Comment

Not exactly?
                              unless both of mine are GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE46

Maybe someone put Western Digital stickers on them?

Comment

Working...
                              X