HDD Swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD Swapping

Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am trying to swap my western digital 40 gb HDD with a Seagate 120 gb HDD. I have no knowledge of the inner runnings of a computer so I cant see what I have done wrong. I have just swapped them over, and now when I start up my computer, I get the normal boot screen up what tells you whats connected to the computer but after that, it doesnt go to the windows xp professional loading sign it just goes black and stays black.

What have I done wrong???

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Ross

Re: HDD Swapping

Is this your master hard drive or a slave drive? If you only have one hard drive and you are trying to use another hard drive from a different machine without reinstalling Windows then you are going to have bigtime problems. Hardware drivers for one machine rarely work in another. There are lots of options still availible to you. What is the purpose of this exercise? Are you just wanting to gain more space or do you need the info off of the bigger drive?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I have 2 computers one from work and mine,

They want my 40 gb HDD in their computer as 120 gb HDD is way more than they will ever use. I would prefer to be able to transfer some of the info off of the 40 gb on to the 120 gb HDD.

So basically swap the hard drives between them.

Comment

This may be more complicated of a task than you anticipate.A simple swap doesn't work too well. Windows XP (as do all operating systems) requires drivers for each PC component. When you move it from one system to another it does not have the programming to operate the different components. ...Kinda like walking around a strange house with a blindfold ... you're gonna crash.

There are ways to change the info in XP but you run a good chance of winding up with a frankenstein system that is not stable. The best method would probably be to burn the files that you wish to keep to some sort of removable media (CD, DVD, USB drive, floppy disk) and then reinstall Windows on each of the hard drives while they are in their new homes.

The downside to this method is that you are going to need a Windows XP disk for each computer (for legal purposes) and you will probably need to find the drivers for some of your components to operate properly. You should also be prepared to reinstall all programs and updates. This page shows install proceedures for XP: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp

Hard drives are relatively cheap these days. If all you are trying to do is get more storage on your home computer you may find it much simpler and safer to buy a second hard drive for your home system and run two hard drives.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
        X