DVD Drive won't read DVD file discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive won't read DVD file discs

Basically my DVD drive can't read DVD file discs anymore. It works fine with DVD movies and regular CD file discs, but whenever I try to read a DVD file disc, I either get an error (or 5), the file doesn't work correctly, or it takes half an hour to load. If I try to open the disc folder, it loads reaaaaly slow, if at all. It used to read them fine but about a year ago it stopped working with DVDs. I didn't really care at the time as most games were CD based, but now with a bunch of games coming out only on DVD, I reaaaly need to get it fixed. Does anyone have any clue about what the problem is and how can I fix it? I'm thinking it's a software problem of some sort since it can read movies just fine. Also, when I right click on it and click properties, it says that it's a CD drive. Is that normal? If I go into Nero however, it says that it is a 16X DVD-ROM. I was thinking that it was some kind of starforce crap since I had the drivers a while ago, but I have removed them with the starforce drivers cleaner application and can't find them in the drivers list. I don't have any starforce games or anything like that AFAIK.

Re: DVD Drive won't read DVD file discs

have you tried cleaning the drive using a drive cleaning disc.
    or the drive might be buggered, my laptop dvd drive did the same thing, in that case it may be time to buy a new drive, they arent that expensive anymore.

Comment

Haven't tried cleaning it since I don't have one of those cleaning discs. I've spent about 3 hours looking for my specific model for new firmware updates and either the download is broken or it won't do anything. I downloaded one firmware update, and its readme says to unzip and run one of the files. I did that, and it just stays there with no HD activity.

Comment

Well you have a few options. If it is still under warranty then rma it. But it is probably not so take it apart and clean the laser with a qtip and windex. I always try this method before replacing an optical drive.
        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
        asus a7n8xe-dlx
        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
        bfg 6800gt
        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
        samsung dvdrw
        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
        mushkin 550w