Method of choice to convert tapes to disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Method of choice to convert tapes to disk

Hey guys, I need some guidance. My pc came with a "cd-writer" and a "dvd-rom". Now I want to add a "dvd burner" but I don't have the space to install it until I remove one of the two preinstalled drives mentioned above. I don't want to spend the extra $ on an external burner.
    Question 1: Which drive would you remove (the cd-writer or the dvd-rom)?

I'm trying to get set up "to convert several of my own old VHS and 8mm tapes to disk" using a video capture device and dvd burner.
    Question 2: What method would you recommend I use to convert my old vhs and 8mm tapes to disk ($ is a big factor)? A "DVD/VHS Combo Recorder" or a "video capture device (usb or firewire) and dvd burner"? Or am I totally confused by thinking this way? Don't forget, I'm a beginner....but I have already purchased a DVD burner (I/O Magic IDVD16DLS) but haven't installed it yet due to question 1). I've also purchased a new WD 250 HDD but haven't installed it yet either.
    Hope this makes sense.....thanks a million, I appreciate your input....any and all input will be most helpful to me.

Re: Method of choice to convert tapes to disk

1- Kill the DVD drive. It is a single-finction device and the new drive will do that single function.

2- As long as you have a video card that is fully VIVO compliant (Video In / Video Out), you only need to be able to hook up your VCR and 8mm player to the S-Video to be able to start creation. There are a number of guides online that will show you how to do this, and www.doom9.org is an excellent resource for almost any information about this type of task. FYI... most of the software available for this can be found as freeware.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

The video card is beginning to make good sense. Now for the search for a decent video card....Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
        1- Kill the DVD drive. It is a single-finction device and the new drive will do that single function.
        i would have thought it would be best to replace the cdwriter as the dvd writer will write to cds and the dvd drive could be used for dvd to dvd copying

Comment

Originally posted by metallicat666
          i would have thought it would be best to replace the cdwriter as the dvd writer will write to cds and the dvd drive could be used for dvd to dvd copying
          I've heard that from others also ...based on the fact that the new dvd r/w will be able to do everything (and more) the cd writer can.

Comment

Have folks been having any luck with this? I had been hearing that the copy protection on modern DVD disks were making this something that wasn't doing too well.
            My Toys

Comment

It is easily done with many available DVD copy programs that you can use in conjunction with a DVD ripper program to remove the copyright protection. Just remember, it is only legal to make 1 copy of a DVD you legally own for your own private viewing. Renting movies does not give you the legal right to copy them.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate
              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

That's good to know. Most of my rips right now are nothing more than making them into a CD sized XviD copy of the original, but its good to know that I can play around with full blown DVD rips too.
                My Toys

Comment

I use 1 CLICK DVD COPY:

http://www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/index.asp

All you need to do is download a ripper program and then it will copy anything. Works excellent and I have yet to find a DVD it could not copy. Mostly, I make copies of my kid's (3 and 4 years old) movies for the car so that when they use it as a frisbee or just plain scratch it to death, I can make them another copy. I have probably saved myself hundreds of dollars over having to buy a new copy.
                  Last edited by casecutter; 02-05-2006, 08:32 AM.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                  Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                  Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate
                  Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

alcohol 120% has worked wondersfor me so far

southern comfort isnt doing to badly either

Comment

I use DVD Shrink :)
                      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

With later copy protection advances straight DVD-DVD copying is not very successful across two DVD drives plus most CD burners burn CD's at a faster rate than DVD burners do so I'd recommend keeping the 2 burners and dumping the DVDROM.

Comment

alcohol 120% has worked wondersfor me so far

southern comfort isnt doing to badly either
                          Metallicat....come on, I've seen some of your posts so I know that you can provide some insight on this subject.....sleep it off and come back in a few days. Appreciate it Met

Comment

Working...
                          X