No announcement yet.

IDE Channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed "no 80 conductor cable installed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE Channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed "no 80 conductor cable installed"

Okay...here's the scoop. I bought a generic computer, took the hard drive from the old, turned it to a slave and added it to the new computer. Then I loaded Win XP Pro on the new drive (which is the master while the old is the slave).

Everything worked like a charm for two months. The idgits for whom I did all this work downloaded from Kaazaaaah...after two months she had over 700 little viruses and spyware issues. But the ultimate issue was the computer quit recognizing the DVD drive, the CDRW and the floppy drive.

I cleaned the viruses with AGP and Ewido...got her clean as a whistle. The computer worked, much faster; but still did not show the floppy, CD or DVD drives. Everything else worked fine.

We reset the bios, flashed the bios and then re-formated the new hard-drive; now when I turn her on, she says, "IDE Channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed" and then eventually gets to where she says, "NTLDR is missing."

By the way, all the components, motherboard, HDD, CD, DVD and floppies have been individually loaded to another computer and worked, but when all are together, nothing works. I've even tried a completely new set of cables.

I'm at the end of my ideas...anyone out there who has a big white horse with solutions?

Salsarow.

Once the stew is ruined, anything you add to save it will only make it worse.
    Last edited by salsarow; 11-21-2005, 09:25 PM.

Re: IDE Channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed "no 80 conductor cable installed"

The error message would usually suggest something else, but it's possible that you have on of the IDE drives on the wrong jumper setting (slave, master, cable select). That's the only thing I can think of for why they all work but not together.

Comment

Re: IDE Channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed "no 80 conductor cable installed"

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      The error message would usually suggest something else, but it's possible that you have on of the IDE drives on the wrong jumper setting (slave, master, cable select). That's the only thing I can think of for why they all work but not together.
      I hate to say it, but I've checked those settings until my eyes bugged out.

Salsarow

Comment

Okay, I've made some progress. I reformed...again, the Master drive. Re-installed it and now I get "NTLDR is missing".

Any ideas?

Comment

That one has a lot more causes, and they're not necessarily related to the hard drive or IDE channel.

Try running memtest86+, found in my signature. Also, please post the system specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
            That one has a lot more causes, and they're not necessarily related to the hard drive or IDE channel.

Try running memtest86+, found in my signature. Also, please post the system specs.
            AMD Sempron 2600 64 bit supported
            1600 MHz
            512 MB /133MHz (DDR266)
            Win XP Pro
            Maxtor 30 Gig HD

Blue screening me now:

STOP: c0000221 unknown hard error
            \SystemRoot\Seystem32\ntdll.dll

new motherboard and CPU

Any ideas?

Salsarow

"No good deed goes unpunished." (Johnny Carson)

Comment

Do you have any other copies of Window XP?

Also, did you try memtest yet?

Comment

Working...
              X