No announcement yet.

Is it safe to reuse a failed hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to reuse a failed hard drive?

I was backing up all of my data from one hard drive to another (C to G), so I could reinstall windows. After a while copying, the computer made a dodgy noise, and my pc restarted. The G drive was then not recognised by windows until I restarted again. This happened twice, but then everything seemed ok.

After re-installing windows on the C drive, it will no longer recognise the G drive. I've recovered the data using recovery software, and I'm sure if I reformat the drive Windows will recognise it again.

My question is, if I can get the drive to work again will it be safe to use or do I need to send it back and get a replacement? (Its only 6 months old.)

Also, is there a program that will fix the drive without me needing to format it? (The file system should be NTFS but is detected as "unknown".)

Re: Is it safe to reuse a failed hard drive?

Most drive manufacturers have a downloadable disk doctor utility that can diagnose faulty drives. You might try this and see what it tells you about yours. If it is only 6 months old and failing, it should be covered under a warranty if it was purchased new.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      Most drive manufacturers have a downloadable disk doctor utility that can diagnose faulty drives. You might try this and see what it tells you about yours. If it is only 6 months old and failing, it should be covered under a warranty if it was purchased new.
      I tested it with PowerMax and it passed the tests. I then used MaxBlast (Maxtor's partitioning tool) and it didn't detect and partitions.

It is under warranty, but I don't want to send it back if they're just going to format it and give it back to me. (I could do that myself.)

So as it passed the diagnostic tests does this mean the drive is ok and I was just unlucky that the partition disappeared?

The drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250Gb ATA/133.

Comment

I've now used partitiondoctor to rebuild the partition table, and now Windows recognises the drive and everything seems ok.

I'm still not sure whether I should take it as a warning that my hard drive is on its way out, and return the hard drive, or just continue using it as normal.

Comment

I've heard a lot of folks talking about reliability issues with teh Maxtor line... looks like they knew what they were talking about. You're correct in that they would simply send the drive back if it doesn't display any errors, but I'd be very careful about storing anything vital on the drive.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
            I've heard a lot of folks talking about reliability issues with teh Maxtor line... looks like they knew what they were talking about. You're correct in that they would simply send the drive back if it doesn't display any errors, but I'd be very careful about storing anything vital on the drive.
            OK, thanks for your help.

Comment

For further insurnace you could enble SMART HD monitoring from your BIOS at startup, it will inform you of any failing HD defore entering windows.

Comment

Hello,
                I suppose using Data Recovery tool - Partition Table Doctor or EASEUS DataRecoveryWizard.
                It is imho the best one among it's family. Easy to use and powerful.
                It actually never failed me before. Recommended!

Comment

Working...
                X