Lan Party question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lan Party question

Any one attend lan parties? Well I have a quick question about something that was brought to my attention by my dad... See a few weeks ago I attended a lan party and upon comming home my PC was unbootable I thought the drive was dead as it was not getting detected in the bios, however on another computer I set it up as a slave and couldn't get access to it, however I did manage to format the thing and recover my drive so I can start fresh...I lost all my data though :-(.. Anyway my dad said something about "park the head" he said its where the head of the drive puts its self in the original positiion so that it doesn't move around and get broken when transporting your PC, anyone aware of this?

That makes sense, but what are you asking?

I would bet that you got a virus at the LAN... or two..

Comment

Getting a virus was definitly one of the first thoughts on my mind...however.....this was a small lan party (6 people) and my computer was the only one effected...have you ever heard of park the head?

Comment

yeah, i've heard of it, with really old hard drive you had to park the head if you were going to move the comp/hard drvie cos if you didn't it would corupt the hard drive

but if it a newer hard drive (last 5 years) the head shouldn't need to be parked
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

ok thanks...so what do you think happened to my drive? Just a coincidental crash?

Comment

OOO... its an IBM 7200rpm.... IBM has been having major problems prducing reliable drives for the past year, year and a half.

Comment

Is this the click of death thing?

Comment

Well, I do not own any IBM drives so I have not read the articles extensively, but I am sure someone can post the links to reviews/threads/articles about the problems IBM has had. In the mean time I would back up anything of value...

Comment

well my drive had already crashed on me upon setting up my computer after I got home from the lan party....so I did lose everything and everything of value but I got everything back and I'll back it up again....as usual.....

Comment

Well, you could try using this program to find files you lost... it works very well....

http://home.arcor.de/christian_grau/rescue/index.html

Comment

Working...
                    X