Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont see the Local Disks on MY COMPUTER

Hi all,
    i have a very strange problem, I have 2 hdd,a WD hdd 160 giga and Maxter hdd. The WD has 4 Local Disks and the Maxter has 2.
    During 3 days my computer was turned on, i decided to restart it, After the restart all the WD hdd strangly disapperd, though at the Disk management i can still see the WD hdd but it looks like its a formated hdd.
    What can i do in order to repair the problem?

Re: Dont see the Local Disks on MY COMPUTER

If you can see them in the Disk Management utility, does it say they are "Healthy"?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

iviewcapture_date_18_10_2005_time_09_07_47.gif
      Attached Files

Comment

Does not say it is healthy; so Windows is recognizing the drive but not the partitions. Either it is not FAT or NTFS, or you've cratered the Partition Table (that small portion of space toward the front of the drive that defines where the partitions are located on the physical drive). Either that or the Master Boot Record has been corrupted, but I would guess the PT first.
        My Toys

Comment

so what should i do ?

Comment

I'm not sure if there are any freeware utilities that are designed to handle rebuilding of partition tables. You might try a Google search and see what comes up. When I rebuild them at work, it is usually with a hex editor and a calculator. To say that is is a royal pain in the rear would be an understatement. If the data isn't vital, you can simply reformat and it should allow you to re-partition the drive to your liking. Since the drive shows up under your disk manager, it doesn't appear to be faulty, but a scan of the drive would be a good idea as well just to make sure there are any physical problems with the device.
            My Toys

Comment

what can i do in order to prevent it from occuring again in the future?
              because it wasnt the first time and im afriad it might happen again

Comment

First off, make sure to back up all vital data to CD. Besides this, I'd do the tests on the hard drive mentioned above and make sure you don't come up with any errors in the first portions of the hard drive (where the MBR, PT and FAT are located). This isn't a common problem so I'd have to guess that it is either some faulty sectors on the physical drive or something you're doing that is inadvertently causing the problem to occur.
                My Toys

Comment

Working...
                X