No announcement yet.

Which is the best hard drive out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best hard drive out there?

Which is the best brand hard drive to buy? and what size would be best for keeping music, games, video and other crap? please help

Re: Which is the best hard drive out there?

Reguardless of what the girls tell the less well endowed. Bigger is always better! Buy the biggest hard drive that you are willing to pay for and then buy another one just because you can.

Seriously .... it all depends on how much information you want to store. Dual hard drives are a good option if you want redundancy. Case in point: My "C" drive just died a week ago but I had all of my documents and save folders duplicated on my secondary drive so I actually lost very little (aside from the time it took me to install Windows, drivers, and my programs again).

If your system supports SATA then go that route, if not then buy a regular (P)ATA hard drive and be happy. Look for 8 or 16mb cache and 7200 rpm drives for faster program access and smoother gaming. There are 10,000RPM drives out there if you want to get into the big money hard drives.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by gprime
      Which is the best brand hard drive to buy? and what size would be best for keeping music, games, video and other crap? please help

16mb cache and 10,000 rpm drives are the fastestest on the market. There are also internal drives available to the public that can store 500 GB of data but they will run you over $400 (US), and some external firewire drives that can store 1T. Serial ATA has some slight advantages over PATA but they will also cost slightly more. If you are considering Raiding drives together then get atleast 2 of the same drives.
      As far as brands go I perfer Seagate or Maxtor over Western digital for both reliability and noise. Just had another WD drive develope problems yesterday, 3rd one this year! Not a good record with me considering I have dealt with 3 times as many Maxtor drives and just as many Seagate drives versus WD drives and all those are A O.K.. I use to think all brands were equal in reliability, maybe Its just a curse, but I'm beginning to wonder. I'm sure I'll be flammed for saying this but I'm calling it how its happening here.

Comment

Originally posted by gprime
        How much space do you need? At certain levels, it is cheaper to buy bigger drives, and at other levels it is cheaper to get more small drives.

Comment

You can get a good 300GB maxtor for about $150 now. SATA and PATA. You could probably get 2 x 150GB for about that same price (combined). So if you have Raid with SATA that would be better for speed and less data loss. Unless you need a separate hard drive for storage, even then you'd be better off Raiding your drives.

Comment

When purchasing a hard disk drive it is important to understand and verify the hard disk drive is suitable for your uses and has or does not have the options you may or may not need.

Unfortunately with hard disk drive technologies changing everyday it is can be sometimes confusing and frustrating when looking to purchase a hard disk drive.

Over the last few years, the reliability and storage capacity of hard disks has increased dramatically to meet the demands of powerful and disk hungry operating systems. However, there are occasions where hard disks fail.

The leading manufacturers of hard drives (internal and external) are Seagate, SmartDisk, Maxtor, Western Digital and LaCie.

One very good guide is to base your decision on the experienced friends or experts.

Comment

Working...
            X