RAID 0, 1, 0+1? Which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID 0, 1, 0+1? Which?

Ok, looking at RAIDing 2 SATA drives, which is best config? And how risky is it to have drives in RAID? Does it shorten the life of the drive? I'll have another 120gb drive in there just for storage...

Re: RAID 0, 1, 0+1? Which?

It really depends on what you want to do with the drives, If you want to make faster access times Raid 1 is your answer(it puts info on both hard drives) for example a program has 12345678890 in its code somewhere 13579 will go on the first drive and 24680 will go on the other. The reason this is twice as risky is because if one drive fails then you are screwed as far as retriving data is conserned. Raid 0 makes an exact copy of the hard drive, meaning of you have 2x 120GB hard drives, you can only use 120GB of that for storage, though if one disc fails then you have an exact copy of the one that failed. 0+1 does both of the above options.
    NOTE: Raid 0 requires 2 hard drives, Raid 1 requires 2 hard drives, Raid 0+1 requires 4 hard drives.

As far as I know RAID has no life shortening problems.

Comment

Great explanation, AMD. Thanks! So far I've only come across one post of someone with a HD failing. I've never had it happen... you think I'd be ok running 2 Raptors at RAID 1, as long as I had the backup?
      Last edited by Chrome0011; 02-24-2005, 02:44 AM.

Comment

it doesnt really seem logical to have 2 Raptor drives in Raid 1, as RAID 1 is usually for important data backup, (ie: storage drive), you wouldnt need such a fast drive for storage, and such limited space (36gb/74gb).

Better off getting 2x 120gbs in RAID 1 or something like that, although 2 Raptors in RAID 0 would be pretty fast, good for your Windows/Programs drive.

Comment

Oops, had it backwards... RAID 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004
            It really depends on what you want to do with the drives, If you want to make faster access times Raid 1 is your answer(it puts info on both hard drives) for example a program has 12345678890 in its code somewhere 13579 will go on the first drive and 24680 will go on the other. The reason this is twice as risky is because if one drive fails then you are screwed as far as retriving data is conserned. Raid 0 makes an exact copy of the hard drive, meaning of you have 2x 120GB hard drives, you can only use 120GB of that for storage, though if one disc fails then you have an exact copy of the one that failed. 0+1 does both of the above options.
            NOTE: Raid 0 requires 2 hard drives, Raid 1 requires 2 hard drives, Raid 0+1 requires 4 hard drives.

As far as I know RAID has no life shortening problems.
            Amd_Lover2004, I'm using raid 0 on this system and it does not make an exact copy of the hard drive. I have 2 160 GB Maxtor sata drives and I get the total space of the 2 drives combined, 320 GBs. Isn't Raid 0 what you said raid 1 is and vice versa?

Comment

Possably, damn pills...

Your right, Raid 0 is striping, Raid 1 is Mirroring. Sorry bout that all.

Comment

Working...
              X