Need to get files back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to get files back.

This is my first post :D Here's my problem. My roomie needed me to reinstall XP on his system. I copied all his music and movies to his 160gig slave drive which had a 38.4 and a 120 or so partition and unhooked it. I formated the C drive and did a clean install of XP Pro. Everything went well till I hooked up the slave drive again :( Now when I try to check the files on the slave drive and it tells me that there's 2 partitions on it which is right. There's a 38.4 on the slave which is where I saved his music and stuff. For some reason all I see on that partition is a mirror of the clean install of drive C. The 120 or so partition tells me that it needs to be formated. How can this happen if the drive wasn't even plugged into the puter? I'm running a program called Getbackdata for NTFS on the drive as I type this, not to say it'll help cuz I prolly can't figure out how to extract the files if the demo version lets me. Anyone have a explanation as to why this happened in the first place or a easier solution. Thanks a lot in advance.

You need a program like the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/
    (choose it from the utility drop down menu under ATA hard drives)

Comment

You seem to be assuming everyone has a Maxtor drive lately...

Comment

Nope that didn't work. It's a western Digital drive. I'm just concerned as to why it happened in the first place. I just built a new machine for myself and I want to slap my slave drive from my old puter in it. Just don't want to lose any of my saved music or movies.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
          You seem to be assuming everyone has a Maxtor drive lately...
          Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          You need a program like the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler:

Comment

Western Digitals site is pretty useless. The data lifeguard program doesn't help at all. I e-mailed their customer support and they says it's a Microsoft problem. If ya want support from Microsoft there might be a fee innvolved, the rat *******s. When I ran the Getdataback for NTFS program it found most of the files with the exception of my roomies AOL personal filing cabinet he backed up. I'm guessing my only option is to spend 80 bux on that Getdataback for NTFS program cuz the demo wont let ya extract the files just view em. It's like hey there's your stuff but pay us so ya can get it back......heh. So yeah if anyone knows how to avoid this in the future I'd like to know. I figured squirrel it away on a slave and unplug it and the files would still show up once I hooked it back up......ugh! That's what I get for thinking.

Comment

Getbackdata for NTFS? WinXP natively supports the NTFS file system so I'm confused why you're using something like this. Have I missed something here?
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

They offer a version of the program for NTFS and versions of the fat file system. Since the files were written in NTFS it makes sense to use the NTFS version. A friend of mine was saying that the drive was pinned wrong and that's what went wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X